Re: [Fsfe-uk] Data on UK Linux usage

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Data on UK Linux usage
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:25:12 +0000

On 2003-11-17 17:45:41 +0000 David Tannenbaum <address@hidden> wrote:

Is anyone aware of data on how widespread Linux use is in the UK? I've found counter.li.org, but could really use something more formal.

Not having to tell someone you're using it is a benefit of free software for the users. It can make estimating user numbers somewhat tricky, though. Much other software has the same problem, though. How to overcome? I guess ONS may have figures for number of computer users, so if you can find some way to random sample them, you can estimate. Not sure how easy the sampling will be to do properly. I can't think of an easy way off the top of my head.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden