Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Chris Croughton
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:03:27 +0100

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 01:32:01PM +0100, Andrew Savory wrote:

> Incidentally, this whole thread on affs-* mailing lists is a good example
> of things I don't think should be cluttering the fsfe list. All
> organisational AFFS issues serve to reduce fsfe-uk's efficacy as "UK Free
> Software". As AFFS grows, organisational issues will only increase.

I agree, as someone who isn't an AFFS member I don't feel welcome
posting about AFFS internal matters, but it can be difficult determining
what on this list is AFFS policy discussion rather than general matters
about free software.  If I were coming to the list as a "list for
talking about free software matters" and were confronted by loads of
messages about how to elect a committee and how to distribute funds
donated to an organisation then I'd likely leave again.

If it isn't done as a separate list then at least all of the AFFS
internal discussion should be tagged in the subject line so that it can
be filtered appropriately.  Preferably by something like [AFFS], since
TLAs like RFD don't mean anything to most people...

Chris C