Re: [Fsfe-uk] Draft PR on swpat directive

From: P.L.Hayes
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Draft PR on swpat directive
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:45:35 +0100

Can you say what kind of article this will be Alex? Is it going to be a full
analysis of the events and issues by someone knowledgeable or just a short
news item? If the former, I'd like to see two things added to the statement
from affs or at least that a suggestion be made that the article might
mention them:

Firstly, I have been disgusted and shocked at the tactics used by the
pro-swpat lobbies; the disingenuity, the out of hand dismissals of expert
opinion, of research and of petitions and the nasty stench of corporate
threats and bribery in the background. Fourtou and McCarthy join Edith
Cresson and Dame Shirley Porter in the ranks of the most corrupt and
self-serving female politicians of modern history. It is also apparent that
the whole business has been largely concocted in order to save the poor
little EPO from embarrassment because the 'expert' patent examiners therein
were either ignorant of, or wilfully ignored the law as it stands. Weren't
most software developers, commercial or otherwise, perfectly happy with
copyrights until this monstrously stupid proposal appeared - unwanted,
unasked for and while purporting to be a mere exercise in harmonization,
proposing drastic and unprecedented changes to what was deemed historically
the correct approach to questions of patentability?  Should the blasphemy
laws be harmonized throughout the EU by making it illegal to say anything
remotely derogatory about any religion or any cult? What kind of government
is it that deems it right to do what is bureaucratically expedient, however
perverse and  regardless of the consequences to it's citizens?

Secondly, the entire debate in the EU has focused almost exclusively on the
economic arguments - are software patents good for EU business or not? The
MEPs may have been persuaded that they are not - how fortunate! But what if
they had been persuaded otherwise? What if circumstances were such that in
all honesty people like us had been forced to concede the economic argument?
(I have even been advised that when contacting my MEPs that I should stick to
the economic case against software patents because that's all they'll
understand or are ever likely to be persuaded by). Well excuse my
exasperation but as I pointed out to Hartmut some time ago, there is the
little matter of freedom of speech and freedom to engage in the arts and
sciences - as set out in the E.U. Charter of Fundamental Human Rights, a
document that the committees are obliged to take into account when
considering legislation (by Rule 58). I would be interested to know if
anybody can show me evidence that JURI and co. have fulfilled their
obligations in this matter but I won't hold my breath. It seems outrageous to
me that matters like these should be considered purely from an economic point
of view. Would the same thing happen in a debate about ID cards or
immigration law? If the average journalist cannot understand the wider issues
because they don't really understand what software is anyway, they should
damn well make the effort to find out - that's their job.

Have these cretins any idea of the damage they were about to do by allowing,
effectively, the patentability of maths - of ideas?  Do you remember the RSA
encryption patent? Perhaps most people have it in their minds that it must
have been something awfully complicated and clever. Well it was not - it is
based on a lemma that is as simple as Pythagoras' theorem and much easier to
prove. Or what about the Fast Hartley Transform? Patented by Bracewell in
1987 (even though there was prior art going back 40 years), he was persuaded
of his appalling mistake by his colleagues and never renewed it but you will
be hard pressed to find an implementation of it in the mathematical software
'literature' to this day as most people mistakenly assume it is still the
subject of a patent. Bracewell may be forgiven for a slip which he seemed
later to regret, though that slip may well have impeded slightly the progress
of science. I will not say what I think of  Rivest, Shamir, Adleman and other
rapacious and venal thieves who through motivations of greed cause others to
have to check their wallets before deciding whether to continue their
research in the direction their imagination has taken them.

Oh alright! - I did say what I thought of them ;-)

If the members of the press still cannot understand what is wrong with
software patents and maybe find the examples I have given to be somewhat
obscure and irrelevant, consider what might have happened if Einstein had not
bothered to continue along his famous and historical line of thought and had
stopped at the Special Theory of Relativity. After all - there was at the
time no compelling physical necessity for the General Theory, and it might
have been left undiscovered for many years. Until that is, a company
researching a marvellous new satellite based system called G.P.S. discovers
that in order to get the damn system to work, they need to modify the
algorithms used in their devices in a rather strange but predictable and well
described manner. A bright spark of an engineer at the company plays around
with these algorithms until he manages to fit them into a general
mathematical scheme, enabling him to generate the whole set of algorithms
that might be needed by such devices. So the company patents the algorithms,
and has, in it's relatively trivial quest for a new type of gadget, claimed
ownership of one of the greatest scientific achievements of all time.

I almost wish it had really happened that way since it would surely have led
to an academic and public outrage sufficient to ensure that no such patents
would ever be allowed to darken humanity's door again.

Regards, Paul.