[Fsfe-uk] Re: Second patents meeting (fwd)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Second patents meeting (fwd)
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 12:35:42 +0100

On 2003-08-28 15:45:50 +0100 "Robert (Jamie) Munro" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Software that does special things on special computers, like keeping the
> processor cool by careful use of certain instructions can be patented,
> because it does not affect every day users.

I'm not sure that I believe that, because it depends on too many definitions of
"special" and is just an implementation of an algorithm.  These "special"
things have a habit of getting general use (is it teflon I'm thinking of?).

> [...] Much better is compulsory
> licensing for a percentage of the cost of the software. For free software,
> this would mean a license fee of £0.

Erm, not for free software that is free as in freedom but not as in price.

> I don't think the status quo is acceptable under any circumstances. We must
> have new legislation, but lets make it go in the direction of individuals and
> fairness, rather than the big corporations and monopolys.

That would be nice, yet seems improbable at this time.  Do you have any better
strategies?