Re: [Fsfe-uk] LinuxExpo approaches...

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] LinuxExpo approaches...
Date: 13 Aug 2003 09:45:43 +0100

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 10:37, Alex Hudson wrote:

> So, I've made an initial attempt at the business-side of a 2-fold A3
> leaflet, a bit like the FSFE have. Obviously, we will be wanting to
> out-do their leaflet :o)
>
>       http://www.alexhudson.com/images/Leaflet-A3.pdf (81k)
>
> Works for me in xpdf, but gnome-gv/ggv/gs appear to fall over hard.

This looks a good start to me, thanks Alex :-)

> The idea is that we have a double-sided leaflet that is folded on the
> fold marks (equal thirds). It's single-colour (i.e., blue and black),
> because I'm fairly sure it would be cheaper to print than full colour.
> I'd love to know what people think about this idea, in general, and
> whether or not they think this line of design is worth persuing.

If we can get sponsorship for the leaflet, we can
print 10,000 for the LinuxExpo. Blue and black is
fine - the FSFE leaflet looks good like this.

> My personal feeling is that A3 is going to be a bit too big, I think -
> you can stick an awful lot of information on them, A4 might be more
> appropriate for us. A3 is also difficult to pocket. It's possible to
> resize the above to A4 at the same ratio, so if you want to print it in
> that format I'd be interested in how usable you think it is (I don't
> have a printer, but suspect the font size is big enough to work at A4).

Well three-folded A4 is a little too small - and
can look a little ``cheap''

How about 50% bigger - folding down to A5 from 3 sides?

> We need to think about the information that should go on this. Comparing
> again to the FSFE leaflet, there is an awful lot of information on the
> FSFE leaflet which is not FSFE-specific (i.e., it's about Free Software
> in general). I think it would be appropriate, then, for AFFS to produce
> something which was completely AFFS-oriented, and not attempt to
> replicate this information. It may also be the case that we want to
> include a small amount about other organisations in the UK who are doing
> things we're interested in (e.g., AFSP? Neil?)

********* REQUEST FOR VOLUNTEERS ***********
Does anyone want to do some work on this - we could
do with a person/group/list-thread to move this
forward
******* END REQUEST FOR VOLUNTEERS *********

> I would also be very interested in people who know good printers.

There must be many on this list who've printed
in this quantity and have printers to avoid
and/or recommend :-)

 - Richard

--
Richard Smedley
Production Editor, LinuxUser & Developer

T: +44 (0)1625 855084, F: +44 (0)1625 855071
address@hidden

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/
The GNU/Linux magazine for IT decision makers

     ``The public have an insatiable curiosity to know everything.
     Except what is worth knowing. Journalism, conscious of this,
     and having tradesman-like habits, supplies their demands.''
                                                       -- Oscar Wilde

This email message may contain privileged or confidential information. The
information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosure,
copying, distribution or the taking of action in reliance on the contents of
this electronic information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
email in error, please notify address@hidden immediately via reply email. Any
personal content in this email is that of the individual author and should not
be interpreted as being endorsed by the company in whole or in part. Whilst
care is taken, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this
email is free from virus infection, and no responsibility is accepted by Live
Publishing Group for any disruption, loss or damage arising from its receipt or
use.