Re: [Fsfe-uk] SCO's latest

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] SCO's latest
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:58:51 +0100

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:04:22AM +0100, Paul Mobbs wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 August 2003 22:46, Paul wrote:
> > Just had this through from someone who attended a recent SCO reseller
> > conference - it's a joke!
>
> Just a suggestion...
>
> If we can confirm this, legally anyone whom they demand this money from has a
> right to receive legal justification as to why they are liable for the
> charge. This is because they did not obtain the product with an explitcit
> license according to the terms that SCO suggest apply. So why not get anyone
> who uses Linux to email SCO - hopefully '000s - to demand the detailed legal
> basis for the claim?

Email?  Fax them, especially if you can get headed notepaper for it, and
demand a faxed reply.  Only a quid or so for each of us, but a lot for
them to fax back.

> Bumps up their costs, a bit of extra administrative pressure on their legal
> team, and perhaps helps to personalise the action between the Linux user
> community and SCO rather than just the current SCO sideswipe at IBM and the
> AIX system?

Agreed (and I'm suggsting fax for those who can do it easily and
officially, for the rest of us swamting them with email requests is a
good way to go in addition).

If they want money it's up to them to demonstrate that they have a right
to it.  After all, 'Linux' (even assuming that they just mean the kernel
which bears that name) is not monolithic, I may well not even have the
bit they claim to own installed (and there's loads of the GNU stuff I
have never downloaded).

Chris C