Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] An ignorant question?
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:22:07 +0100

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:05:10AM +0100, PFJ wrote:

> > I could never be a salesman, for anything.  I can't tell a customer
> > "this is /the/ best thing" because I know full well that there is no
> > such animal, everything has drawbacks and is suboptimal for some people
> > and some purposes.
>
> That depends. If someone has a specific task and product X fulfills that
> specific task, it doesn't matter how awful it is at anything else. It is
> also the best thing.

But a salesman is expected to sell X regardless, or at least to sell N
copies of X in time T where N and T are positive and finite.

> On the whole though, there is no such thing as *the* best thing. There
> are things which come close though...

I gave up trying to find /the/ editor years ago, when I realised that
even if I wrote it myself to do all the things I wanted, in a year I'd
be complaining about it again because my own requirements change with
time and what I want to do.  Vim comes very close, though.  Same with
any other apps...

Chris C