Re: [Fsfe-uk] OpenForum Europe insert in 'Director'

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] OpenForum Europe insert in 'Director'
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:29:09 +0100

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 02:50:39PM -0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > issues with it also. They have some strange definitions of things (their
> > definition of open source is not OSD-compliant, AFAIK), some of their
>
> Argh!  Is this another one, or one we've already seen (Becta, OeE,
> MS, ...)  coming around again?

I generally find open source decomposes into Raymondism and Perensite,
I would classify this as the Raymondism open-source-as-a-development-
model one (i.e., the popular one). I don't particularly find the taxonomy
interesting though, so it could be that I've overlooked some important
yet subtle difference :)

> > [...] One thing I didn't know, though,
> > was that apparently the DTi supported this research.
>
> Do we have any contacts at DTi to follow this up with yet?

NAFAIK. The DTi is massive, though, and spans all sorts of things. We
probably ought to start looking to make links with them though - I would
suggest the EUCDL/training angle as the obvious route in.