Re: [Fsfe-uk] UKPTO: Guidance for businesses about changes to copyright

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] UKPTO: Guidance for businesses about changes to copyright law
Date: 03 Jan 2003 10:45:27 +0000

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 10:06, Marc Eberhard wrote:
> just in case someone is not yet aware of this latest info from the UKPTO.
>
> > We have taken the opportunity of a quieter spell over the last few days to
> > bring forward our publication of guidance for businesses about some
> > changes to copyright law that will be made next Spring.  Please look on
> > our website at http://www.patent.gov.uk/copy/notices/guidance2.htm.

This is essentially a notice about the reduced fair use rights available
after the implementation of the EUCD in this country - it was supposed
to be done last year, presumably they're aiming to do it by the Spring
now.

The key points (if you can't understand the notice ;) are:

1. previously, selectively quoting copyright works was okay. This is no
longer the case iff you are doing it for commercial research; you would
now need a licence.

I personally think this is a bit draconian, and the guidance note makes
it clear that they expect most research to be undertaken by business
will be commercial in nature.

2.previously, if you were playing a public broadbast (radio, TV, etc.)
in a public place, so long as you were doing it 'for free' (no admission
charge) then you were fine. No longer - you now need a licence.

Yes, this does cover Joe's radio in the local greasy spoon - no more
Capital FM for you lucky punters. Yes, this does (specifically) cover
playing music in an open-plan office (!).

3. this is a right pile of jobs. If you're visually impaired, and you
have copyright material that is inaccessible, you are allowed to get
access to it. So long as the publisher doesn't make an accessible copy,
or participates in a licensing scheme with a quango. And you must own it
already, and you must convert it yourself (or get someone to help you).

Interestingly, this doesn't cover recording musical events - I suspect
the music industry had something to say about it. Plus, it only covers
people with sight problems - if you have hearing problems, tough.

All in all, it looks a bit suspect that they are issuing guidance before
actually completing the law - it looks a bit of a fait accompli. Ho hum.