Re: [Fsfe-uk] Richard Stallman 1st seminar

From: Nick Hill
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Richard Stallman 1st seminar
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:33:49 +0000

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 22:54:19 +0000
Rogue M.Vox <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
> good to speak to you (briefly) tonight at the LSE.
> forgot to ask if you got a recording done?
>
> I'm particularly interested to have a second listen to RMS arguments in
> support of music sharing... I was not particularly impressed by that part
> to be honest. If the FSF has for goal to achieve freedom for the
> consumers in that area, maybe they should consult some insiders before
> spreading a message. I could happily demonstrate that a system without
> record companies applied today would completely kill the average
> semi-professional musician and as a result not benefit the public at all!

There is a philosophical/ freedom correlation between freedoms to copy
music and to copy software. AIUI, RMS believes there is a strong basic
support in younger people for freedom to copy music. He is talking music
to tap into that support to bring together those supporting music copying
and free software.

The video recording will be available in free formats from the LSE web site
soon. I will have a copy either from the camera I had today or from LSE
directly. I believe the LSE recording will be better so will use that if I
get the required rights delegated.

I am sure RMS would like to discuss any better systems of arranging things
for semi-professional musicians.

> I liked his distinction on the type of work and the approach necessary in
> order to reform copyright in each case though.

> btw I'll be there tomorrow at around 6pm.
> If I can be of any help with leaflets or something, let me know.
That will be helpful. Thanks.