Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Lobbying UK govt (MJ Ray)

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Lobbying UK govt (MJ Ray)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:21:49 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
> Richard Smedley <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Nick Hockings wrote:
> >> To back this up I am recruiting a team of volunteers around the UK who are
> >> willing to install and maintain free software in their local MP's offices.
> >> The
> > How are you going about this? I think the LUGs and PM groups could be a
> > useful resource here. Also a little publicity to attract further
> > volunteers - I'm sure such a project could get at least a small news
> > mention in both UK Linux mags.
>
> Shall we create an "adopt a politician" site?  I'm blatently stealing the
> idea from STAND, but the idea here is more to get hard details on
> adopter/adoptee exchanges of information, so we can find out what does and
> doesn't work, as well as know the opinions of various politicians.  Start
> with MPs and then try for council, union and association leaders and other
> likely future MPs.  (Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that council leaders will
> be trying for selection... political types, educate me now.)

Something like this would be a good way of
getting as many people involved as possible
- which I see as a Good Thing TM :-)

Nick - when can I meet your friend? I think
what he's going to do is great, and I'd really
like an opportunity to talk with him about his
tactics.

btw I'm still waiting to hear from the
people who said at the London meeting that
they had contacts at the BBC and the Telegraph
who were interested in Free Software stories.

--

Richard Smedley
Production Editor, Linux Format

Telephone +44 (0) 1225 442244 ext 5038