Re: [Fsfe-uk] Windows Free Software

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Windows Free Software
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:49:47 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, MJ Ray wrote:

> Ultimately, what is the point in this?  As long as you can't know the
> operating system, you can't know the software.  While it may have some
> benefit in bringing more people to free software, it is better to build free
> on free.  Hopefully these are just some selected ports, not new free
> software being created on a closed platform.

Thin end of the wedge (once they use it, they may keep up the momentum
and move to being completely free), and publicity (many people don't
realise how much free software is out there, and in what guises).

If we're promoting free software, we shouldn't turn our backs on free
software that runs on non-free/restricted platforms. Where would that
stop? No support for free software on OS X? No support for software on Red
Hat?

I do of course understand the reticence to support closed-OS free
software, but really, free is free and we should be careful about being
TOO choosy.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Savory                                Email: address@hidden