Re: [Fsfe-uk] Microsoft vs Samba

From: Philip Hands
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Microsoft vs Samba
Date: 07 Apr 2002 11:53:54 +0100

On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 16:54, Martin Keegan wrote:

> http://www.advogato.org/article/453.html
>
> The article at the above URL suggests that Microsoft is going to use
> its patents to prevent GPLed implementations of CIFS/SMB, which could have
> serious implications for future (and possibly current and past, due to the
> nature of patents) Samba installations.

Oh, goody --- just when we finally manage to get the crypto stuff out of
non-US into main on Debian, it's time to move Samba the other way.

We _REALLY_ need to make sure that the US patent disease doesn't spread
to Europe.

At least Samba is finally a good solid example that is used in general
business that would really piss people of if they were deprived of it,
so should be a good lever to get people excited about stopping the UKPOs
shenanigans.

Describing to a UK bank (for example) how keeping Europe patent free
will save them money to an extent that will show up on the bottom line,
and will give them an edge over their US competitors, might be a good
way to get them on our side.

Cheers, Phil.
--
Say no to software patents!  http://petition.eurolinux.org/