[Fsfe-uk] IRC Meeting Update

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] IRC Meeting Update
Date: 02 Dec 2001 20:30:02 +0000

Okay, this isn't a formal summary, but hopefully gives you an idea of
what went on at today's meeting. The logs are at (for the moment?):

        http://hashbrits.org/~thenut/affs/irc-logs-20011202.txt

.. it's not too long a read, and signal:noise isn't that bad for irc.

Okay, in terms of action points:

1&2: we made no attempt to define constitution in 'real time', because
that would have taken ages, and also depends on the form of the
organisation. However, we're all agreed on the basic principles, and the
wish to enshrine it as far as possible. Given writing & editing is best
done offline, it was proposed to do this via this mailing list somewhat.

3&4: because we're still awaiting legal advice, we didn't make any more
attempt to decide how to set up the org, although the wish to make it
un-subvertable was again expressed. The key questions asked were;

        + are we actually able to form an I&PS? (if not, the question
          is moot)
        + what damage could a Ltd. do (financial, etc.) if it was
          taken over/collapsed?

A good resource for I&PS documentation is
http://www.ncvo-vol.org.uk/main/about/info/briefings.html#ls - it would
be advisable to read up on some of this. Upon receipt of advice
(hopefully within the week?) we'll then be able to make a decision

5&6: nobody could think of anything better than AFFS. Someone
volunteered to look into logo work; noone else seemed interested ;)

So, what happens now? Well, as I see it (correct me if I've missed
anything, anyone):

+ we decide the form to take
+ write the constitution collectively (this can't really happen until we
know what we're going to be [for reasons :]), or at least the main
points that would be in the constitution (it's likely that this would
actually need to be written by people who know what they're doing, like
a lawyer ;)

We can also begin to put other things in place: web site, etc. We have
already started to generate information that should be kept somewhere
sensible (minutes, logs, etc.) and really ought to start having proper
places for all this.

We also had a good discussion about some of the initial things we will
want to do as an organisation, and it was proposed that we set up some
kind of sub-committee that can look at campaigns/etc. while we
concentrate on setting up the organisation. The members of APRIL present
also expressed an interest in software patents - I've volunteered to
write an article summarising the position of the UK Government, with
respect to software patents, since we seem to be slightly less far down
the slippery slope than some of our European cousins.