[Fsfe-uk] Linux in UK schools

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Linux in UK schools
Date: 4 Jul 2001 05:34:23 -0000

Quoting Andy Fletcher <address@hidden>:

> Going tomorrow (Wed) along with a couple of others from Cambridge on
the
> 08:15 train.

Hi

Can't make this expo - though I will be in Birmingham.

For those of you interested in education (nearly everyone?) who are
not on the osie list, I copy below an announcement from the list. To
avoid duplication of effort, I hope that this group can associate with
a uk chapter of FSFeurope, as the aims are extremely close.

- Richard Smedley

Date
           3 Jul 2001 20:00:15 -0000
           address@hidden
      From
           Richard Smedley <address@hidden>
   Reply-To
           address@hidden
    Subject
           [osie-general] An announcement
      Parts
              (source)

 Hello everyone,

 Things have been a little quiet since the last message to the list,
 some seven weeks ago. Part of the problem may be those of us who said
 "yes it's a good idea" at the meeting at Salisbury have not found a
 role, or have been too busy (I raise my hand here, I am doing two
 near-full-time jobs at the moment).
 Part of the problem may be the labyrinthine artifice of the knowledge
 base which, no offence Michael, may intimidate people from diving in
 and getting involved.
 Maybe it's the lack of attention on campaigning at a national level
 get Linux into schools.

 Anyway I have some good news that should get things moving along.
 Seriously concerned at the (dire) state of IT education (or should
 that be office2000 tuition) in this country, my employees
 [its-linux.co.uk] have made me an offer:

 They will sponsor one full day of my time per week to work on a
 schools linux/free software project, to lobby government/ becta/
 nesta/ LEAs on the issue.
 Additionally to host a site (server provided) to gather all the Free
 Software of use in UK schools together in one place, together with
 relevant information. It will also mean a telephone, fax and address
 for the group.

 I hope to be able to do this together with the support and
involvement
 of those concerned with getting Open Source into schools -
 particularly the osie membership - and, preferably, with the osie
 name, which has been given so much PR.

 For those of you concerned at commercial involvement by iTS-LiNUX,
 rest assured that this is a *sponsorship* - the web site will not be
 plastered with banners. The idea is to give something back to the
Free
 Software community whose software has contributed to the tremendous
 growth of the company. Anyone attending the Linux Expo in London this
 week is welcome to ask either of the directors about the company's
 (non-)involvement/interference (the stand is adjacent to Linux User).

 - Richard Smedley

 I've probably failed to address every point here, so I would welcome
 every comment/question/ criticism/ bit of support that you will now
 all throw at me 8->

This mail was sent using ecmail