[Fsfe-france] Re: [long] DRM open source

From: Stéphane Bortzmeyer
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: [long] DRM open source
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:40:17 +0100

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:25:35PM +0100,
 Loic Dachary <address@hidden> wrote
 a message of 29 lines which said:

>         J'ai regardé et je n'arrive pas à me faire une idée :-)
> C'est trop gros. A vue de nez c'est un truc qui n'est pas un DRM
> (Logiciel Libre + standards ouverts). Mais il y a surement des
> personnes qui ont analysé la situation.

Spec' et code viennent d'être publiés :

http://www.openmediacommons.org/news/03212006-omcworkshop_press_release.html

Open Media Commons Releases Specifications and Source Code for Open,
Royalty-Free Digital Rights Management

Workshop, Hosted by Sun, Draws Industry Representatives from Around the World

SANTA CLARA, Calif.\u2014March 21, 2006\u2014Sun Microsystems hosted the first
Open Media Commons (OMC) Workshop last week to further the community's goal of
developing open, royalty-free digital rights management (DRM) and codec
standards. In conjunction with the workshop and building on the announcement
last year of Sun Labs' Project DReaM (DRM/everywhere available), Sun released
two draft specifications for content protection technologies \u2013 DReaM-CAS
(Conditional Access System) and DReaM-MMI (Mother May I). Sun also released
open source code for a prototype implementation of the DReaM-CAS conditional
access system. More than 80 participants from a range of organizations came
together to discuss new technical specifications and source code, define plans
for the completion of those specifications and determine the next steps
required to develop an open, royalty-free DRM solution.

The DReaM-CAS client specification defines a complete open conditional access
system that enables delivery and consumption of protected content over Internet
Protocol (IP) networks, using the MPEG-2 Transport Stream (TS) format. The CAS
model utilizes open standard technologies for security such as PKI and SSL, as
well as existing content protection technologies such as AES, ECC and 3DES. In
addition, Sun posted the open source code for a prototype implementation of the
DReaM-CAS conditional access system at https://dream.dev.java.net.

The DReaM-MMI specification outlines a different approach to managing rights
for a variety of client types that are directly or indirectly connected to
content networks. The design philosophy underlying DReaM-MMI is that clients
should be able to negotiate for rights through standardized protocols rather
than downloading a license with an embedded expression of rights. The
specification defines the message protocol, message transport and a list of
profiles required to ascertain rights by a DRM client from a rights server.

These specific technical measures for content protection form the core of
securing and safeguarding content in any DRM solution. DReaM, based on a
service oriented architecture system design that leverages open standards, is
capable of interoperating directly with other content protection technologies
and supports services that enable both Conditional Access System and Digital
Rights Management models. The specifications are initially available under the
OMC terms at http://www.openmediacommons.org, and Sun ultimately plans to
release the implementation code as open source under the OSI-approved Common
Development and Distribution License (CDDL).

\u201cWith more people and devices participating on the network every day,
there is a growing need for the community to develop and implement an open,
safe and business-friendly DRM solution,\u201d said Tom Jacobs, project lead
for Open Media Commons and a director in Sun Microsystems Laboratories.
\u201cWe're encouraged that participants from across the DRM value chain, from
content creators, owners and distributors, to consumer electronics device
manufacturers and industry organizations, are coming together to address the
issues and propose viable solutions.\u201d
Organizations represented at the workshop include technology companies such as
Cisco, HP and IBM; consumer electronics device manufactures such as Motorola,
Panasonic and Samsung; content distributors such as Sony BMG and Warner Music
Group; network operators such as Telecom Italia; and industry organizations
such as MPEG-LA. More information from the workshop, including speaker
presentations, transcripts and technical documentation, is expected to be
available shortly at.

Supporting Quotes From Workshop Keynote Speakers

Lawrence Lessig, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Creative Commons and
Professor of Law at Stanford Law School: "In a world where DRM has become
ubiquitous, we need to ensure that the ecology for creativity is bolstered, not
stifled, by technology. We applaud Sun's efforts to rally the community around
the development of open-source, royalty-free DRM standards that support
\u201cfair use\u201d and that don't block the development of Creative Commons
ideals."

Richard Pietravalle of The MITRE Corporation: "The technology surrounding
digital rights management has widespread application in the enterprise and the
public sector to improve information sharing, while affording additional
protection for sensitive materials and records. Open, interoperable digital
rights management standards can help increase the availability of digital
rights management-based solutions for the secure sharing of sensitive
materials."

Mariellen Calter of Stanford University Libraries & Academic Information
Resources: "Universities would benefit from open, standards-based DRM
technology that would allow students and faculty to easily access, use and
share copyrighted information in a fair manner. I'm interested in the work of
the Open Media Commons to develop open-source, interoperable DRM standards that
address the needs of learning institutions."

About the Open Media Commons
Sun's Open Media Commons is an open-source community project to develop
royalty-free codecs and digital rights management (DRM) solutions. The goals of
the OMC are to develop an open-source, royalty-free solution for the
distribution of digital content, focused on authenticating people and roles,
not just devices; to address the application of DRM technology to a wide range
of content and situations, including personal rights management, the privacy of
health records and compliance management for businesses dealing with
Sarbanes-Oxley; and to create an open environment where creators, content
owners, consumers, network operators, technology providers and consumer
electronics device manufacturers can work together to address the technical
problems associated with DRM.

About Sun Microsystems, Inc.
A singular vision -- "The Network Is The Computer" -- guides Sun in the
development of technologies that power the world's most important markets.
Sun's philosophy of sharing innovation and building communities is at the
forefront of the next wave of computing: the Participation Age. Sun can be
found in more than 100 countries and on the Web at http://sun.com.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Frances Freyberg
Sun Microsystems, Inc.