[Fsfe-france] Neuros : How we got started with open source

From: Laurent GUERBY
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Neuros : How we got started with open source
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:39:10 +0200

Via slasdot, une bonne experience a mettre en avant. A noter
que neuros recherche activement des audiophiles/videophiles
pour participer a l'elaboration de son prochain modele
qui sera basee sur le kernel 2.6.

Laurent

http://open.neurosaudio.com/node/130
<<
Submitted by Joe on 4 October, 2005 - 11:48pm. Neuros | Bugzilla |
Developers | OdNA
Like most manufacturers, Neuros didn’t pay a lot of attention to the
open source movement initially, viewing the various activities on Linux,
web servers and browsers as interesting but distant phenomenon with
little obvious connection to our business. It was almost by happenstance
that we realized what a profound impact on our business the open source
phenomenon could have.

Our first surprise came even before we released any source code. We had
simply released the communication protocol between our device and the
PC. Based on that small release of information, brand new
synchronization managers sprang up, as if from thin air. They were
typically developed by engineers that often had no contact with the
company. The software was innovative and took entirely different
approaches and in many cases, was preferred by many users to the
software that we had spent literally millions developing in house.
Equally amazing where the tools that they were using. These independent,
open source developers had complete toolkits of free software, that
were, in many cases vastly superior to the proprietary ones we had been
using.
[...]