[Fsfe-france] RE: RFID & Privacy

From: Berthon, Alain
Subject: [Fsfe-france] RE: RFID & Privacy
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 12:18:30 +0200

Dear Loic,

First please accept my apologies for not having answered your previous
e-mail. I had started an answer that I never sent you because of other
duties. Please find it attached.

This topic is certainly of interest and Texas Instruments is fully involved,
with Bill Allen who is leading a task force within AIM to debate, discuss,
explain, and possibly propose technical changes.
Personally, I believe that the real issue is how the technology is used.
This is the same for the video-surveillance (CCTV), the dynamite, etc...

To address your specific points about the procedure, here are a few points:

- the proper way to propose a change (amendment or revision) to a standard
is to do so through the National Body, in France this is AFNOR.
The secretary of the French commission is Mrs Catherine Protic
e-mail : address@hidden

This will then be discussed (you can be invited even if you are not a
permanent member) and may result into a proposal to the relevant working
group, in this case SC17/WG8.

- implementing a command to permanently shut down a tag is trivial. It is
just some additional logic. The key problem is how to prevent unauthorized
persons to do so. Your opinion and advice on this will be very welcome.

- in your previous e-mail you indicated your intent to publish the name of
the SC17/WG18 convener Mr.Hegenbarth and the name of the 15693 project
editor (myself) as the contacts to complain about potential risks.  The role
of the convener is to facilitate the development of a standard, the role of
the editor is to translate into a document the decisions made by about 30
countries, each having between 10 and 30 experts.

So please do not present Michael and myself as the "guilty ones", we will
certainly participate to the debate and listen carefully to any proposal.
Again, the correct way is to contact the relevant national committee.
Our responsibilities as convener and project editor are known publicly, I am
proud of what we have achieved and certainly compliment Michael for what he
has and is still doing for standardizing RFID technologies, this is a team
effort and progress are accomplished by many contributors. Your contribution
is highly welcome. Raising the point is certainly appreciated, making a
practical proposal to resolve it will be still much more appreciated.

I hope this address your point. I wish we can meet face to face some time to
further discuss the matter.

Sincèrement.

Alain Berthon
Texas Instruments