[Fsfe-france] Re: pgAdmin is proprietary software

From: Dave Page
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: pgAdmin is proprietary software
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 18:36:02 +0100 (BST)

It's rumoured that Loic Dachary once said:
> > Question: Are the terms of use for pgAdmin made clear on the website?
> >
> > Answer: Yes.
>
>       I think not. As it turns out, every pgAdmin user I run into is
> shocked when I ask her/him to actually read the license terms.

That doesn't mean we didn't make it clear. That means they didn't bother
to read the licence we made pointed them to.

The pgAdmin website is www.pgadmin.org.

>       Note that I'm just saying : "read the license, you'll be
> surprised". And they draw their own conclusions. They specially like
> the "The pgAdmin Development Team may end the licence agreement for any
> reason, without notice and without prejudice" part.

That's nice. Bottom line - take our software, take our licence. If you
don't like it, go find a better free (not Free) tool to do the job.
I was willing to entertain changing the licence terms to try to address
your concerns or perhaps even dual licence as you once suggested, however
since you have since made it clear you do not want to help find a
solution, and have begun accusing us of deception and purposefully
misleading our users, I find myself naturally becoming opposed to your way
of thinking.
Which is a shame.

Regards, Dave.