Re: [Fsfe-france] Force doit rester à la loi

From: Antoine
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-france] Force doit rester à la loi
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 01:28:10 +0100 (CET)

J'écrivais :
> Pour moi la renommée de l'APP date de la fin des années 80, où la mode
> était à effrayer les gamins amateurs de jeux vidéo dans l'objectif
> désespéré de mettre fin au piratage endémique (ceux qui avaient un Amiga
> savent de quoi je veux parler). Les avis dans la presse hobbyiste
> d'alors étaient plus que partagés (des gamins de quinze ans au poste
> de police).

Ah ben... il semblerait que certains veuillent que cela reparte de
plus belle. On me susurre dans l'oreille que Microsoft, membre du
BSA, finance les républicains, mais ça n'a certainement rien à voir.
Il s'agit juste de restaurer l'ordre honteusement bafoué ;)

Warez supports terrorism

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=174096756&m=7390961655

In recent years, one of the best ways to push a cause before Congress has
been to allege that activity x supports terrorism. Hence, smoking pot
supports terrorism, vacationing in evil countries supports terrorism,
driving SUVs supports terrorism, and now Microsoft, Hollywood et alia
would like to point out that software piracy also supports terrorism. Oh,
as does ripping MP3s and copying DVDs. And the government is apparently
interested in this thesis, as well.

    « "Organized crime syndicates are frequently engaged in many types of
illicit enterprises, including supporting terrorist activities,"
Malcolm said. "All components of the Justice Department...will do
everything within their power to make sure that intellectual property
piracy does not become a vehicle for financing or supporting acts of
terror." »

To be sure, there are criminal organizations that deal in software piracy,
and chances are that they aren't the most friendly organizations in the
world. But even as advocates admit, these organized activities (for the
most part) happen outside of the United States, primarily in countries
where illegal activities such as this often go unchecked. But you can bet
that these advocates are primarily interested in restricting consumer
freedom here in the US. Funny that. But it gets even better. In order to
make sure that you don't mistakenly become a terrorist yourself, how about
passing some laws that put you in the slammer for downloading an MP3?
According to this article at IDG:

    « Representative John Carter, a Texas Republican, suggested that
college students would stop downloading if some were prosecuted and
received sentences of 33 months or longer, like the defendants in the
DOJ's Operation Buccaneer. "I think it'd be a good idea to go out and
actually bust a couple of these college kids," Carter said. "If you
want to see college kids duck and run, you let them read the papers
and somebody's got a 33-month sentence in the federal penitentiary for
downloading copyrighted materials." »

What an ass (pardon my French--I reserve Friday's for the use of French).
So, we can't be sure if we're stealing profits (downloading for free),
making profits (selling warez), generating profits (buying warez), or
guilty of being "college kids," but it all supports organized crime, which
is ipso facto criminal, and criminals are mean, and so are terrorist, and
hoochie-mamma bad bad bad! Let's lock 'em all up and let Big Bubba sort
'em out with his Penal Theories of Criminal Justice. Thanks to G.Vasileiou
for the heads up.