[Fsfe-france] Interview John Perry Barlow

From: Alexandre Dulaunoy
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Interview John Perry Barlow
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:31:29 +0100 (CET)

http://www.heise.de/tp/english/inhalt/te/14337/1.html

 Could  you  express  a  bit  more widely  your  thoughts  about  copy
 protection and  informational sustainability? I mean,  today we still
 have a lot  of books, and they can be read  for centuries. What about
 the digital world?

     John  Perry Barlow: This  is one  of my  greatest concerns.  I am
     really  afraid that  a lot  of material  that is  already  in the
     Public Domain is going to be re-encapsulated and taken out of the
     Public Domain. I'm also very afraid that they are going to refuse
     to digitize --  or are only digitizing in  this highly controlled
     way -- much of what has  taken place over the last 150 years. And
     that, as a  consequence, this will die embedded  in their corpses
     and  be lost  to future  generations. I'm  disappointed  with the
     human species that  we are less concerned about  that than we are
     about   strengthening   a  monopoly   for   a   very  few   large
     organizations. We're  given this choice.  Why are we  choosing to
     help them instead of our descendants?

--
--                            Alexandre Dulaunoy -- http://www.foo.be/
--         http://pgp.ael.be:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x44E6CBCD