[Fsfe-france] Re: public domain question

From: Alexandre Dulaunoy
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: public domain question
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:52:50 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Loic Dachary wrote:

>       Hi
>
>       In the US a software author can declare (although it seems to
> be a controversial subject among scholars):
>
> "This work is in the public domain. I disclaim all copyright in the work."
>
>       In which case the program is not copyrighted at all, hence
> falls in the public domain.
>
>       I never heard or read anything related to this in Europe or in
> France. Could someone shade some light on the subject ? I'm under the
> impression that, in France, there is no way to place a program in the
> public domain. First, you cannot surrender your moral rights. Then I'm
> not aware of any effective method to surrender your "droit d'auteur".

      There is no "public domain" (for example in the Belgian law) but
      this is more a right/legitimate right to the author to do so.

      But (IMHO), the only way to do it correctly is to make a license
      to   correctly  define   public  domain.   But   that's  another
      story.  Maybe the  way  to surrender  author  right (aka  "Droit
      d'auteur") is to make a license to do so[1].

      As Alessandro said,  you have to wait for  author's dead and 50+
      years.

      Hope this helps.

      adulau

      [1] We are living in a strange world.