[Fsfe-france] Re: 01net Conference (December 20)

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: 01net Conference (December 20)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 08:40:23 +0100

Bradley M. Kuhn writes:

 > I tend to agree with Loic.  Has Frederic already accepted the invitation,
 > though?  It might be bad press for the Free Software Movement if we accept
 > the invitation, and then only later say it isn't a fair venue.

        Our first reaction was to ask that someone representing the
Free Software movement is invited. Frédéric now got an invitation to
speak at the round table. My thoughts were that it may not be the best
idea for the reasons exposed in the previous mail.

 > In general, I think the first thing we should call for is not a particular
 > seat on a panel or two, but for fair and equal treatment of the Free
 > Software Movement at the conference.  Then, if they listen to the
 > protests, enter a broad negotiation about what needs to change for it to be
 > considered fair.

        That would be the best thing to do, yes. Unfortunately the
conference is already organized and invitations with the conference
planning were sent.  It's too late to change the event as a whole.

 > As it stands now, this basically means that Frederic has the pressure of
 > fighting against a number of panelists who will likely all be against him;
 > Frederic will probably have no ally on the panel.

        There is little chance Frédéric will even have the opportunity
to outline the points that are exposed and that are contradictory with
the Free Software movement (mixing Free Software and proprietary
software, advertising proprietary software under the Free Software
banner, patents may be good for Free Software, avoiding the GNU GPL
license, ethical aspects never mentionned, ASP using & modifying Free
Software and never publishing it ...  just to name the ones that are
visible from the planning).

        Cheers,

75019    Paris         T: 33 1 42 45 09 16          address@hidden