[Fsfe-france] Re: 01net Conference (December 20)

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: 01net Conference (December 20)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 18:12:53 -0500

Loic Dachary <address@hidden> wrote:

>       All speakers belong to the proprietary world and will discuss
> about Free Software with a proprietary software vendor / user angle.
> Fr?d?ric will be the only Free Software representative present and
> whatever he says during the round table will not change the tone of
> the conference.
>
>       I tend to think that participating to the round table will
> have the effect of blessing the conference as a Free Software event
> where it really is a proprietary software event talking about Free
> Software.

>       Instead I thought it would be better to inform people going to the
> event that it is a proprietary event. It can be done by publishing an
> article on various news sites and distributing it to people attending
> the conference. I include a draft of the article, in French, with an
> automated translation that will allow you to grab the basic idea.

I tend to agree with Loic.  Has Frederic already accepted the invitation,
though?  It might be bad press for the Free Software Movement if we accept
the invitation, and then only later say it isn't a fair venue.

In general, I think the first thing we should call for is not a particular
seat on a panel or two, but for fair and equal treatment of the Free
Software Movement at the conference.  Then, if they listen to the
protests, enter a broad negotiation about what needs to change for it to be
considered fair.

As it stands now, this basically means that Frederic has the pressure of
fighting against a number of panelists who will likely all be against him;
Frederic will probably have no ally on the panel.

   -- bkuhn