Re: [Fsfe-france] Re: remote management for GNU machines in europe, and

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-france] Re: remote management for GNU machines in europe, and DNS
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 20:43:31 -0400

Interesting.  The US BlackBox catalog I have seems to just sell APC
products.

In general, Black Box is known for being much more expensive than
anyone else; for example, they sell the APC 8 outlet device for $700,
whereas you can buy the same exact thing anywhere else for like $500.

wti.com (found through a google search) has something for about $450
that does control of five outlets, and has an ASCII RS-232 interface.
But 380 euros is around $350 or $300 or something, right?  Why are you
finding something cheaper than I'm finding?

(There are also versions that directly support telnet, but that's not
going to be encrypted, so I'd rather just have a serial-only device
that's connected to a unix machine running whatever crypto software we
happen to be using this year.)

pulizzi.com lists similar products, without making it clear what the
prices are.

and baytechdcd.com has yet more of this sort of thing, again without
prices.

   If you  are talking  about the 'powerboot'  hardware we are  using for
   'ecila' and 'chez', here are the informations you require :

   Loic Dachary writes:
    > What we need at present is the following:
    >
    >   - precise references of the devices

   PowerBoot5

   '5' means 5 plugs

    >   - price

   ~2500FF ~= 380 Euros but I can be wrong

    >   - vendor

   In France: Blackbox(.fr),  sorry I can't give you  a better URL, their
   site don't have a search engine !

    >   - short instructions on how to set it up

   Everything is in the 2 pages manual provided with the hardware (do not
   consider this advice as 'RTFM' :).
   --
   Cyril Bouthors -- phone:+33 1 41 66 47 06
                       fax:+33 1 41 66 47 10