[Fsfe-france] Re: remote management for GNU machines in europe, and DNS

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: remote management for GNU machines in europe, and DNS
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 00:30:32 +0200

Joel N. Weber II writes:
 > so, what are the plans wrt remote powercyclability for the GNU
 > machines in europe?

        I think it's about time we do something about it. Hopefully
Cyril Bouthors, Jean Louis Bergamot, Igor Genibel, Helios de Creisquer
or Cedric Valignat and Rodolphe Quiedeville will have some advices and
hardware to provide. We can spend money on this, it will be well
invested.

        Igor and Helios showed me the setup they did for the
www.ecila.fr machines and this may very well apply to the
france.fsfeurope.org (aka ns1.fsffrance.org, aka fr.fsf.org ;-) They
installed a device that provides remote boot control over a serial
port + powercycling ability. The machines do not have EMP ports and
therefore the best it can do is provide a grub/lilo prompt but not the
ability to interact with the BIOS remotely. What we need at present is
the following:

        - precise references of the devices
        - price
        - vendor
        - short instructions on how to set it up
        - order the device
        - go to Nevrax to install it

        I can take care of the last two, possibly with the help of Cedric
and Rodolphe who are familiar with the location at which the hardware is
installed.

        This may also be of some interest to Igor and Helios since they
are about to install machines for a cooperatively run service they take
care of on their spare time (tuxfamily.org). No doubt remote powercycling
facility will be of invaluable help to them.

        We could also take care of the raid5 hardware that was long delayed.
Rodolphe knows exactly what we should buy, the only thing to do is to place
the order and plan the necessary downtime.

        Cheers,