[Fsfe-france] Re: The Community is the Company

From: TonStanco
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: The Community is the Company
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 05:56:30 EDT

Sorry for the long delay in response. I became very busy immediately after
the last round and have been going to NY to met RMS for the last 2 days,
which had very long commutes.

BTW, do you mind if we post these email exchanges on our site to help explain
the CommCo?

> First, thanks for your time and patience, I finally understood why it
> could work.

It was fun. Thanks for your time and patience, too. Understanding the CommCo
requires keeping a lot of new ideas in the air simultaneously, so it is not
easy.

It is so complex that after the logic is worked out as best as we can, the
only way to be sure is to test it by experiment. The proof is in the success.
There is a very simple test to perform and that is to float it in a very
small IPO. The purpose of the IPO will not be to raise money (which was the
purpose of an IPO in the Industrial Age), since the amount raised will be de
minimis ($50,000-100,000), but to test the CommCo structure.

The theory is that in the Intellectual Age, the entities don't been money,
but they do need community and a focal point. If I am right in the logic, the
CommCo will grow from almost nothing to be the largest software company and
replace all of the proprietary companies within 10 years. This is a big
expectation, I know, but it follows from the efficiency gains of the free
software development methodology that closed proprietary code cannot compete
with. In a sense, proprietary companies are selling blocks of ice and we have
just invented refrigeration.

>  I will think about this (I like building systems, especially social
>  ones), so I'll try to send you my results by the next weekend, I hope.

That would be very cool. I look forward to them.