[Fsfe-france] News FSF France 25/05/2001

From: Olivier Berger
Subject: [Fsfe-france] News FSF France 25/05/2001
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 21:47:26 +0200

Bonjour.

Voici les news de la FSF France jusqu'au 25/05/2001.

News FSF France en texte (voir pièce-jointe pour HTML avec liens) :

|                       FSF France News                       |
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||Report on APRIL - FSF France - MTIC meeting (in french)    ||
||25 May 2001. Here is a report of the meeting of 22/05/2001 ||
||at the Mission interministérielle de soutien technique pour||
||le développement des technologies de l'information et de la||
||communication dans l'administration (MTIC - French         ||
||government agency about ICT development) between           ||
||reprensatatives of MTIC, APRIL and FSF France.             ||
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||FSF France activity report                                 ||
||24 May 2001. The FSF Europe presence in France started its ||
||activity on April 12, a little more than a month ago. We   ||
||worked hard to launch the core activities that will allow  ||
||us to implement the goals of the FSF and the FSF Europe :  ||
||provide Free Software for everything and everyone and      ||
||protect its existence when it is threatened.               ||
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||Loïc Dachary's interview on NewsForge                      ||
||23 May 2001. Loïc Dachary, FSF Europe's vice-president was ||
||interviewed by Julie Bresnick for NewsForge. This interview||
||details Loïc's resume as well as explaining the reasons of ||
||his involvement in the Free Software movement.             ||
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||Free Software leaders stand together                       ||
||18 May 2001. The most prominent evangelists of the Free    ||
||Software sign an open letter in response to the recent     ||
||attacks of Microsoft against Free Software. An indisputable||
||unanimity against Microsoft's practices, that reaffirms the||
||importance of Freedom as a federating value of the Free    ||
||Software movement and the Open Source movement.            ||
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||Benjamin Drieu about de french translation of the GNU GPL  ||
||(french)                                                   ||
||17 May 2001. In the interview, Benjamin Drieu gives us an  ||
||update on the process of translating and adapting the GNU  ||
||GPL license to french law. The project started on request  ||
||of Richard M. Stallman who gave its responsability to      ||
||Mélanie Clément-Fontaine. The FSF France provides its      ||
||assistance under coordination of Frédéric Couchet.         ||
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||Libre et Vie Locale                                        ||
||16 May 2001. APRIL and FSF Europe have a booth at the      ||
||conference Freedom and regional life. Development, usage,  ||
||legal protection of Free Software are actively discussed.  ||
||Loïc Dachary gives his side of the story for the first day ||
||of the conference.                                         ||
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||Brave GNU World issue #27                                  ||
||15 May 2001. The latest issue of Georg's Brave Gnu world is||
||out. This month's items : The "GNU/Linux TerminalServer for||
||Schools"-Project which tries to provide an easy means for  ||
||the installation and administration of a GNU/Linux based   ||
||terminal server; GNU HaliFAX, which has the goal to create ||
||a complete and comfortable fax environment in the GNU      ||
||Project; the "GOSSIP Simulation Environment", a simulation ||
||environment for use in communications engineering and      ||
||digital signal processing; Jude, a toolkit or framework for||
||application development that allows the implementation of  ||
||solutions for the "Data-Management" and "Workgroup         ||
||Application" areas while being simple to use for users and ||
||developers at the same time; and finaly HyperBuilder, a    ||
||tool to manage big static web sites with more than 100     ||
||pages. Read the article.                                   ||
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||Meeting with Technopole Logiciel Libre                     ||
||10 May 2001. One hundred kilometers from Paris a technopole||
||unlike any other is created : it is dedicated to Free      ||
||Software. Frédéric Couchet and Loïc Dachary went to Soisson||
||to establish a first contact between the technopole and the||
||Free Software Foundation Europe.                           ||
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||Free Software Foundation Europe aiming for more            ||
||coordination between Free Software Developers. (PR. FSF    ||
||Europe)                                                    ||
||7 May 2001. Free Software Foundation Europe aiming for more||
||coordination between Free Software Developers. On May 6th  ||
||2001, the first general assembly of the Free Software      ||
||Foundation Europe took place at the Villa Vogelsang in     ||
||Essen, Germany. It was the first meeting of the members of ||
||the recently founded sister organisation of the FSF        ||
||(Boston,USA). Representatives from France, Germany and     ||
||Sweden agreed on future areas of engagement for the FSFE.  ||
||See also photos by Olivier Berger and photos by Peter      ||
||Gerwinski.                                                 ||
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||The (french only) guide Unix + network goes to GFDL        ||
||6 May 2001. At the very time of the first general assembly ||
||of the Free Software Foundation Europe in Essen (Germany), ||
||the french guide "Short information about the Unix system  ||
||and computer networks" (in french "Courte information sur  ||
||le système Unix et les réseaux téléinformatiques") by Marc ||
||Schaefer goes to GNU Free Documentation License. The       ||
||decision was made on the IRC channel #fsfeurope            ||
||(openprojects.net) after a discussion between Marc Schaefer||
||and a french member of the FSF Europe who was present in   ||
||Essen (Note: for the moment, only the LaTeX source of the  ||
||document was updated). Now the guide is under GNU FDL, come||
||a good time to make updates to it; Marc awaits your        ||
||comments.                                                  ||
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||The GNU General Public License Protects Software Freedoms  ||
||(PR. FSF USA)                                              ||
||4 May 2001. The GNU General Public License Protects        ||
||Software Freedoms. Richard M. Stallman, president of the   ||
||Free Software Foundation, and Professor Eben Moglen,       ||
||general counsel for the Free Software Foundation, issued   ||
||statements addressing points raised in remarks by Craig    ||
||Mundie of Microsoft. Stallman and Moglen focused on the    ||
||importance of freedom for software users and programmers,  ||
||how the GPL protects those freedoms, and Microsoft's       ||
||attempt to cast such freedoms in an unfavorable light.     ||
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||They know their freedom                                    ||
||4 May 2001. During the First Thursday, 23 persons          ||
||accurately enumerated the four fundamental freedom of Free ||
||Software. The FSF France officialy thank them now and      ||
||forever. Join them and become a part of the family.        ||
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||Savannah Machine                                           ||
||1 May 2001. The new machine for Savannah arrived today in  ||
||the FSF office in Boston. Financed by donations relayed by ||
||FSF France it will allow to open the service to all Free   ||
||Software projects.                                         ||
|+-----------------------------------------------------------+|
||Donations to FSF                                           ||
||30 April 2001. Donators who contributed to the FSF thru the||
||FSF France now have their page. Donations are used by the  ||
||FSF Europe or the FSF to advance the GNU project or protect||
||the Free Software movement worldwide. Around 45 000 FF were||
||recieved during the month of April.                        ||
||News syndication                                           ||
||27 April 2001. The news published by FSF France are now    ||
||integrated in SomeNews. They are therefore displayed on all||
||the web sites using this plugin.                           ||

Cordialement,

--
Olivier BERGER - Secrétaire de l'association APRIL
APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)