[Fsfe-france] Re: The Community is the Company

From: loic
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: The Community is the Company
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 15:48:13 +0200

 > Since this is a real Kuhn paradigm shift, it requires a lot of effort to
 > break free of old ways of understanding the world. The structure will never
 > make sense looking at it with old eyes and there are a lot of issues that
 > intersect with it. Going back to first principles and going slow is the only
 > way to make sense of it.

        I fully agree with you. When first looking at
FreeDevelopers.net people think it's a joke. They read around during
ten minutes and leave.  I can't analyze exactly why. I had the same
reaction to be honest. Only I read the web site during two hours and
finaly figured out it's a nice dream to have and it's worth trying to
make it reality.

        I very much see it as Free Software vs proprietary software. When
people first heard about Free Software they laughed and left. 15 years ago
they would not even give it a second look. Now we stand on more solid
grounds but it tooks ages and most people are still very confused by
the philosophy of Free Software.

        It needs a lot of patience and talking to spread a new idea.
Regarding FreeDevelopers I'm in a similar position as I was 13 years
ago when I discovered Free Software. I find it very appealing and I
support the idea. However I do not understand enough of it to advocate
it myself.  It took me years to actually understand Free Software and
become able to talk about it in a sensible way. I expect it will
take me some time for FreeDevelopers as well.

        That's why I asked you to dialog with us on
address@hidden and address@hidden It will help
improve my level of understanding of FreeDevelopers and at the same
time it will give a chance to people who are still skeptical to change
their mind.

        Cheers,