Re: [Fsfe-france] RE: Study on Free Software by Unisys

From: Olivier Berger
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-france] RE: Study on Free Software by Unisys
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 00:22:50 +0200

I'm not sure I forwarded it to you... and understood that Loïc was a bit
... well... uncomfortable with their way of conducting the study...

I add to the bottom, the answer I got from Patrice-Emmanuel Schmitz to
my initial mail... just to give a full view...

I think we should not be to angry at Unisys until we see the result...
even if they're not known for their support or participation in the FS
movement...

We should judge on their acts though.

Second answer to Loïc:

"Schmitz, Patrice-Emmanuel" a écrit :

> The study is related to the use of Open source software in the public sector
> ("open source" is the EU official terminology for "Libre / Free Software")
> in 6 European countries (France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Belgium). It
> will normally be published in the EU IDA site http://europa.eu.int/ISPO/ida/
>
> I am sincerely amazed about your opinion that in France "it's done in
> secret" as the MTIC (4200 subscribers, mostly in public administration)
> disseminated our questionnaire and as our participation to the free software
> workshop (May 15, with 70 attendees) allowed many contacts that will
> complete web and other study knowledge (as the Carcenac report).
> How can we inform widely?
>
> Your participation to the study is welcome anyway, and will be referenced
> provide it is related to facts - successful or unsuccessful experiences and
> analysing the reasons why - of implementing free software in public sector.
> I look forward for your contribution.
>
> Unisys was awarded with this study contract as a part of its usual business
> with EU, after a open call for tender. The study will be conducted in a
> neutral spirit. Studies performed by Unisys as a part of its consultancy
> business have no impact on Unisys strategy (37.000 collaborators) mostly as
> a global service provider and system integrator.
> >From the FSF viewpoint, it may also become an advantage: public sector
> managers are looking for a e-government strategy and opinion of a "non free
> software advocate" may be listened.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Patrice-Emmanuel SCHMITZ
> Project Director
> EU & Public Sector
> Unisys
> Av du Bourget 20
> B-1130 BRUXELLES

First answer to me  (in french only :( ):

--
Olivier BERGER - Secrétaire de l'association APRIL
APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)