[Fsfe-france] Re: [APRIL] FSF Europe & APRIL in Brest

From: Pascal Desroche
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: [APRIL] FSF Europe & APRIL in Brest
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 11:56:18 +0200

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 10:04:31AM +0200, address@hidden écrit:

>       Hi all,
>
>       I wrote a small report of the first day at the 'Libre et vie
> locale' conference in Brest where APRIL & FSF Europe have a booth and
> were allowed to talk.
>
>       http://france.fsfeurope.org/news/article2001-05-16-01.en.html
>
>       Cheers,

Loic ? there were 3 april members. However I'm glad you found I had a
discreet approach...

Day 2 - Thursday

In the morning - well, someone needs to feed this part. I was not
awake, due to the evening concert follow-ups ;

In the afternoon was a so called "round table" to gather all the
participants around general conclusions. The lack of participants was
mentionned (and evident) but no public debate about this point and a
little accusation to the free software community was pointed out, for
not making enough efforts to communicate "outside it's world". It
mostly sounded like the speaker didn't understand the work beeing done
by the free software movement.

Bernard Lang reminded that there was now a more official fight between
proprietary software publishers and free software, but it seemed that
people didn't care much about software patents...  More precisely the
organizers didn't know how to talk about the subject without looking
like an aktivist so they didn't talk publicly about it. Wednesday
afternoon during the FSF speech, Fred had informed that the
publication of the results of the European Commission study on that
matter should occure real soon (may).

Some people also heard talking about some 4 days party next spring in
France, about which information can be found here (but in french only)
http://www.libre-en-fete.net

ENST is trying to launch (buying services from) young companies
providing software services. One had a booth on the place :
Inqual. They are developing some kind of web log analyser and decided
to put it under GPL because it seemed to be the most popular thing
actually... The other nasty thing is that they are developing all from
scratch and show poor results (referers and keywords ranking) instead
of adding modifications to software such as webalyzer.

Local logistic was nice, people were kind, food was good, shower was
warm, and the net connexion was ok. This is a nice place for seting up
events but they all need to work on what's already done instead of
trying to make it 'again'. Plus : there is a real need of
communication supports and actions to gather not only free software
developers/users but also the people in charge of the decision wether
or not their public organisme will use free software. They were only
a few (5 maybe, including some organizers...) although this event was
set up for them. We should talk about concrete projects instead of
focusing on some general concerns.

But sometimes it goes this way... especially when the main speakers
are scared about things getting away from them.

Pascal Desroche