[Fsfe-france] Re: Update of Software Patents Agenda

From: loic
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: Update of Software Patents Agenda
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:11:57 +0200

Francois PELLEGRINI writes:
 > So they preferred to push forward the patenting of software in the
 > European patent directive, to which european nations will have to
 > comply and thus change their national laws to admit the patenting
 > of software.

        I realize when reading this that I completly missed an
important point. European diretive are binding for members of European
Union countries -> countries of the European Union represent the majority
of countries signing the EPC -> European Commission can decide if
the exception can be removed from EPC.

        I also realize that the history timeline misses an important
document : the one in which the European Commission says that there
should not be software patents. Does such a document exist ? Can
someone provide reference to it ? How is it named ? I guess it's dated
before 1973. Or maybe it's implied by another document where the
European Commission approves the 1973 EPC ? Or the revisde 1991 EPC ?
Please enlight me ;-)

 > They tried to remove art.52.2 last november, see their draft.
 > In March, they tried to push governments to admit the patenting of
 > software (March 12th meeting, if I remember well...).

        Although I remember people talking about that I could not
find any reference to this.

        I'm digging hard in your references ;-)