[Fsfe-france] Re: Software Patents Agenda

From: loic
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: Software Patents Agenda
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 22:18:00 +0200

PILCH Hartmut writes:
 > >    Now that I added the agenda to petition.eurolinux.org, how can
 > > I get it back (from a cron job) to update the corresponding page on
 > > fsfeurope.org ? I could export it in XML but this requires
 > > authentication. I could also wget the page and write an XSLT to
 > > get rid of the menus but I'm under the impression that it's the most
 > > counter efficient way to deal with this problem.
 >
 > You have named all the ways.  I don't know a better one.

        Ok. I'll try to ask for help to a Zope guru just to make
sure. I found that Zope implements XML-RPC that may help in that
respect.

 > >    In short I'd like to be able to extract the agenda without
 > > the menus to insert it on fsfeurope.org and no-software-patents.org or
 > > whatever it's called.
 >
 > noepatents.org = petition.eurolinux.org
 >
 > I think it would be better if we stayed within that domain and worked
 > together on improving it.  A lot of work is already going on there.
 > Comlementary external work is fine, but let's not dissipate efforts by
 > creating another petition site.

        I had no intention to build another web site, rather to have another
domain with a different layout that does not make it so obvious that the
driving force is Free Software. My work is to provide/update content in
petition.eurolinux.org and build a different menu/layout to display it.

        Do you think this can be done with noepatents.org ? For
instance, is it possible to have a layout that shows when coming from
petition.eurolinux.org and another one when coming from noepatents.org ?

        One problem with the fight against software patents is the
fact that people assimilate this to the Free Sofware and the Open
Source movements and that it weakens its efficiency. Having a domain
that does not refer to EuroLinux/AFUL/FFII/APRIL/SSLUG etc. in such
a proeminent way but has the same content appeared to me as a good and
easy way to achieve that. Can you think of another ?

 > One thing that is really needed at the moment is an assessment of the
 > EU consultation replies.  Having those well described and overseeable,
 > pressing the EU commission to publish them and getting the original
 > authors to send us text versions (non-pdf) would really make a difference.

        I added a task for this purpose at

https://savannah.gnu.org/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=153&group_id=53&group_project_id=8

        I realize this is an important task but it's currently beyond my
abilities. I'm trying to find out what's happening and what has been done,
hence the agenda :-)

        One thing that would help me improve the agenda : did the EU
responded in any way to the consultation and when ?

        Cheers,