[Fsfe-france] Re: Contact database (Re: Fund raising infrastructure)

From: loic
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: Contact database (Re: Fund raising infrastructure)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:12:56 +0200

Florent Duval writes:
 > Proud to be a gnu hacker and start swimming in the contact pool.
 > Thanks for subscribing for me to contact-hackers, nevertheless, as you know,
 > I'm totally "gnu". In addition to the discussion we had few days ago, I will
 > need some additional info about how the FSF is organized, who is already
 > involved in the "project", what was started, the objectives and all the
 > stuff. I will need to find the starting point of all that, could you just
 > give me the locations, if any, where I could find info about the contact
 > database (objectives, status, environment and looking to the subject of this
 > mail more globally, the Fund raising infrastructure), or any relevant
 > documentation.

        The contact database is currently nowhere. Although I said
I'll investigate vCard last week I did not do anything yet. I'll work
on it this week end.  The contact database methods and formats will be
used by FSF Europe, FSF and associate organizations. Bradley Kuhn (VP
FSF address@hidden) will use whatever we come up with and comment on
the list when he has time but he is really busy.

        I think I should better give you a call tomorrow morning to
update you. Yan and Cedric (listed on
savannah.gnu.org/projects/fsffr/) are currently installing a php
groupware tool (newt, newt.nevrax.org) on france.fsfeurope.org that
will provide a web interface to the contact database. Yan developped
it and is willing to adapt it for our needs. Although newt is not
currently able to slurp/spit vCard, he will do that for us.

        What we currently need is to find out how to use a vCard based
database so that some could use emacs, others vim and others a web based
system. The first step is probably to find tools for the environment we
like best. I should investigate emacs + vCard asap.

        Take care,

P.S. Please create yourself an account so that I can give you access to
the france.fsfeurope.org machine that is used to make those experiments.