fsfe-france-epn

[Fsfe-france-epn] 7/18, Tour de France (stage 13)

From: James Raia
Subject: [Fsfe-france-epn] 7/18, Tour de France (stage 13)
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 09:39:24 -0700

TOUR DE FRANCE TIMES
By James Raia
E-Mail: address@hidden
Web site: WWW.BYJAMESRAIA.COM

To read this edition (Tour de France, Stage 13) CLICK HERE

To read additional Tour de France editions, click on the following:

Stage 12 (NO REPORT)
STAGE 11 (Moncoutie Takes Stage, Voeckler In Jersey)
STAGE 10 (Virenque/Voeckler Celebrate Bastille Day)
STAGE 9 (Voeckler Steady in Jersey)
STAGE 8 (Hushovd Claims Stage; Voeckler Retains Yellow)
STAGE 7 (Pozzato In Sprint, Voeckler In Yellow)
STAGE 6 (Boonen Leads Group, Voeckler In Jersey)
STAGE 5 (O'Grady For Stage; Voeckler In Jersey)
STAGE 4 (Postal Takes TTT; Armstrong In Yellow)
STAGE 3 (McEwen Gives Aussies Fourth Yellow)
STAGE 2 (McEwen Wins; Hushovd Claims Yellow)
STAGE 1 (Kirispuu Claims Sprint; Cancellara Retains Jersey)

NEW FEATURE

ARMSTRONG CLAIMS HIS FIRST '04 STAGE WIN

--------------------------------------
PUBLISHER'S GREETING
--------------------------------------

After the race's only two stages in the Pyrenees, the group leaves the mountains for the southeast coast for a flat stage from Carcassonne to Nimes. The 14th stage Sunday will have no categorized climbs and will bring the race's sprinters to the forefront. Monday will be the race's final rest day or repos in Nimes.

Racing resumes Tuesday with the 180.5 km Valreas to Villard-de-Lans 15th stage. It will include seven categorized climbs, the steepest a 12km ascent with an average 7.4-percent grade beginning after 127 kilometers.

--------------------------------------
TOUR NEWS, NOTES AND QUOTES
-----------------------------------

Tyler Hamilton (Phonak) has suffered from back pain since his crash in the final kilometer of the sixth stage. On Saturday, the pain proved too severe and Hamilton abandoned the race at the first "feed zone" about 50 miles into the stage.

Hamilton, 33, of Marblehead, Mass., placed fourth last year, and was predicted as an overall favorite this year.

Urs Freuler, the Phonak manager, said Hamilton's injury was muscular and not conducive to repair like his collarbone fracture like last year.

"He can't transfer the power from his back to his legs," said Freuler, who also said he would suggest to Hamilton to consider the Tour of Spain, the final grand tour of the season . . .

It was less than a week ago that six American riders were among the top 20 in the general classification. With the depature of Hamilton and Bobby Julich (CSC) and Levi Leipheimer (Rabobank) having off days, Armstrong is now the sole U.S. rider in contention for the podium . . .

Leipheimer appeared to be in good position for his best performance of the Tour. He was riding with Jan Ullrich (T-Mobile) in the second group, but be began to have difficulty with about 10km remaining in the stage and eventually finished 19th @ 6:39. He's now 14th overall @ 10:47 . . .

"I ran out of sugar," said Leipheimer, who was seeking a top-five Tour overall finish. "I am very disappointed. It's possible now for a top-10, but the top-5 will be very difficult."

--------------------------------------
POSTCARD FROM LE TOUR
--------------------------------------

Tour de France mountain stages not only provide the riders' greatest difficulty, but the steep climbs into the Pyrenees and the Alps are the most difficult days for anyone else seeking to watch the stage first-hand.

The mountains are packed with cars and campers, cyclists and gendarmerie (police), fans and race vehicles. And, of course, what goes up must come down.

It short, the post-stage scenario following mountains is nothing less than chaos. The French police are out in force. But they can make the situation worse as much as they can make it better.

To the race organization's credit, "evacuation" roads are available about 30 minutes following the stage. The media is escorted in the oncoming lane down mountains, much the dismay of the public.

After other mountain stages a secondary route off the hill is suggested. Such was case after the mountaintop finish to La Mongie for stage 12. The Col Du Tourmalet was the determined route and it took those willing on an extended climb past the finish at La Mongie, elevation, 5,700 feet.

It was 10 p.m., dark and lightning was crackling on the horizon when I crested the mountain and slowly made my way down on the winding, narrow road. I hugged the mountain side of the road, leaving as much distance possible to the sheer cliffs on the other side of the route.

No more than a mile down the road, I made a sharp right turn and came into the direct path of perhaps 100 mountain goats. The animals were spread across the road, but I slowly weaved my way through the herd.

The route continued for miles. It finally passed through several small villages tucked into the side of the mountain and I at my destination, Lourdes.

For several years at the Tour de France, I've stayed in the same boutique hotel in Lourdes. The two women owners and I have become friends through the years. I called them to let them know of my pending late arrival. They left my room key in the reception area with a handwritten welcome. And there was bottle of cold beer on the desk in my room.

All was well again at the Tour de France.

--------------------------------------
AMERICANS IN THE TOUR DE FRANCE
--------------------------------------

Individual Stage Results
Stage 13
Lannemezan to Plateau de Beille, 205 kilometers
1. Lance Armstrong, Austin, Texas (USPS), 6 hours, 4 minutes, 38 seconds
19. Levi Leipheimer, Santa Rosa, Calif., (Rabobank) @ 6:39
38. Floyd Landis, San Diego, Calif., (USPS) @ 18:46
39. George Hincapie, Greenville, S.C., (USPS) @ 18:46
65. Chistian Vande Velde, Lemont, Ill., (Liberty Seguros) @26:58
155. Bobby Julich, Reno, Nev., (CSC) @ 42:20
Abandon - Tyler Hamillton, Marblehead, Mass., (Phonak)
General Classification
2. Armstrong @ 22 seconds
14. Leipheimer @ 10:47
35. Hincapie @ 30:39
37. Landis @ 31:25
52. Julich @ 46:49
71. Vande Velde @ 1:05:16

For complete results, visit the web sites:
cyclingnews.com
letour.fr
procycling.com
velonews.com

--------------------------------------
2004 TOUR DE FRANCE FEATURES
--------------------------------------

VIRENQUE/VOECKLER CELEBRATE BASTILLE DAY

FLOYD LANDIS FEATURE

WHY LANCE WON'T WIN THE TOUR DE FRANCE

LANCE DECIDES TOUR NO LONGER A PRIORITY

A CONVERSATION WITH LEVI LEIPHEIMER

--------------------------------------
TFT'S QUICK PEDAL STROKES
--------------------------------------

AMAZON.COM
Everything offered by the internet's largest online retailer.
ENDURANCE SPORTS NEWS
Endurance news from around the globe. Timely, pertinent, free.
JAMES RAIA'S ONLINE STORE
Amazon to Rudy Project, Land's End to R.E.I.
ROCK & ROLL BOB ROLL
Cycling's rebel announcer on Le Tour de France.
STRETCHING IS FOR CYCLISTS, TOO
Brad Walker is a long-time stretching expert.
THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE
The best cycling movie ever made?
THE TOUR WITHIN THE TOUR
Twenty-four essays about the cyclists, people & places of the Tour.
THE TOUR DE FRANCE AT A GLANCE
The Tour de France in facts and figures.

--------------------------------------
TFT'S BUSINESS PARTNER SPOTLIGHT
--------------------------------------

Tour de France Times acknowledges and encourages the support of its business partners:

BIKECAFE.NET
The worldwide cycling resource.
CALIFORNIAWINEANDFOOD.COM
California wine and food and global ambiance.
DIRTRAGMAG.COM
The mountain bike forum.
LUFTHANSA.COM
There's no better way to fly.
SPOKERADIO.COM
Get out there and ride.

--------------------------------------
2004 TOUR DE FRANCE SCHEDULE/RESULTS
--------------------------------------

Prologue - July 3: Prologue Liege ITT, 6 km
Stage winner: Fabian Cancellara (Fassa Bortolo), Italy, 6 minutes, 30 seconds. General classification: Cancellara
Stage 1 - July 4: Liège-Charleroi, 195 km
Stage winner: Jaan Kirispuu (AG2R), Estonia, 4 hours, 40 minutes and 29 seconds. General classification: Cancellara.
Stage 2 - July 5: Charleroi-Namur, 197 km
Stage winner: Robbie McEwen (Lotto-Domo), Australia, 4 hours, 18 minutes, 39 seconds. General classification: Thor Hushovd (Credit Agricole), Norway.
Stage 3 - July 6: Waterloo - Wasquehal, 210 km
Stage winner: Jean-Patrick Nazon (AG2R Prevoyance), France, 4:36:45. General classification: Robbie McEwen (Lotto-Domo), Australia.
Stage 4 - July 7: Cambrai - Arras TTT, 64.5 km
Stage winner: U.S. Postal Service, 1:12:03. General classification: Lance Armstrong (USPS), Austin,Texas.
Stage 5 - July 8: Amiens - Chartres, 200.5 km
Stage winner: Stuart O'Grady (Cofidis), Australia, 5:05:58. General classification: Thomas Voeckler (Broiches La Boulangere), France.
Stage 6 - July 9: Bonneval - Angers, 196 km
Stage winner: Tom Boonen (Quick Step-Davitamon), Belgium, 4:41:41. General classification: Voeckler
Stage 7 - July 10: Chateaubriant - Saint Brieuc, 204.5 km
Stage winner: Filippo Pozzato (Fassa Bortolo), Italy, 4:31:34. General classification: Voeckler
Stage 8 - July 11: Lamballe - Quimper, 168 km
Stage winner: Thor Hushovd (Credit Agricole), Norway, 3:54:22. General classification: Voeckler
July 12: Rest Day: Transfer to Limoges
Stage 9 - July 13: St. Leonard de Noblat - Guéret, 160.5 km
Stage winner: Robbie McEwen (Lotto-Domo), Australia, 3:32:55. General classification: Voeckler.
Stage 10 - July 14: Limoges - St. Flour, 237 km
Stage winner: Richard Virenque (Quick-Step-Davitamon), France, 6:00:24. General classification: Voeckler
Stage 11 - July 15: St. Flour - Figeac, 164 km
Stage winner: David Moncoute (Cofidis), France, 3:54:58. General classification: Voeckler
Stage 12 - July 16: Castelsarrasin - La Mongie, 197.5 km
Stage winner: Ivan Basss (CSC), Italy, 5:03:58. General classification: Voeckler
Stage 13 - July 17: Lannemezan - Plateau de Beille, 205.5 km
Stage 14 - July 18: Carcassonne - Nimes, 200 km
July 19 - Rest Day: Transfer to Nimes
Stage 15 - July 20: Valreas - Villard-de-Lans, 180.5 km
Stage 16 - July 21: Bourg d'Oisans - L'Alpe d'Huez, ITT, 15.5 km
Stage 17 - July 22: Bourg d'Oisans - Le Grand Bornand, 204.5 km
Stage 18 - July 23: Annemasse - Lons le Saulnier, 166.5 km
Stage 19 - July 24: Besancon - Besancon ITT, 55 km
Stage 20 - July 25: Montreau - Paris-Champs-Elysees, 163 km

--------------------------------------
PUBLISHER'S NOTICES

Tour de France Times (TFT), an electronic newsletter about cycling's pinnacle event and the cyclists who compete in it, is written, edited and published by James Raia, a journalist in Sacramento, California. Tour de France Times is published monthly, except daily during the three-week Tour de France.

Story links, race information, suggestions and letters to the editor are encouraged via e-mail. Please include your name and city and state of residence. Names held upon request.

Use of this newsletter is encouraged with the publisher's permission.

Send correspondence to: address@hidden

Note: Click on the banners below to find out more about the respective companies.

Click Here to Buy Rudy Project Sunglasses

Clearance Sale (468x60)

In Association with Amazon.com

 Update Profile  |  Unsubscribe  |  Confirm  |  Forward