fsfe-france-epn

[Fsfe-france-epn] 7/4, Tour de France (stage 1)

From: 7/4, Tour de France (stage 1)
Subject: [Fsfe-france-epn] 7/4, Tour de France (stage 1)
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:38:26 -0700

TOUR DE FRANCE TIMES
By James Raia
E-Mail: address@hidden
Web site: WWW.BYJAMESRAIA.COM

--------------------------------------
PUBLISHER'S GREETING
-------------------------------------

Welcome to the first issue of Tour de France Times from the 91st edition of the Tour de France. The planned issue after the prologue was not published because of transmssion diffficulties.

Unlike last year, when a heat wave bombarded France with record temperatures, the first two days of this year's race have been less than ideal. The prologue was contested under blustery conditions and the first stage was held primarily in rain and overcast skies. In other words, we've had two perfect summer days in Belgium.

Again, welcome to Tour de France Times. I hope you enjoy the journey to Paris.

Note to subscribers: I will be providing Tour de France radio reports on Capital Public Radio (CPR) in Sacramento and its varied Northern California and Nevada affiliates as well as on National Public Radio (NPR). The first CPR reports can be heard on July 9, 16 and 23. Reports on NPR reports will be heard periodically throughout the event on Morning Edition.

--------------------------------------
TOUR NEWS, NOTES AND QUOTES
--------------------------------------

Jaan Kirispuu (AG2R Prevoyance) of Estonia claimed the expected massive sprint finish to stage 1. It was the Estonian rider's fourth career Tour de France stage win. It rained for most of the stage, but there were only a few minor crashes, including Tyler Hamilton. He ell with about 80 kilometers left, suffered some abrasions on his right thigh, and rejopined the group . . . Lance Armstrong finished safely in 48th place with the majority of the field in the same time as the winner and slipped one position to third overall, 10 seconds behind Swiss prologue winner and race leader Fabian Cancellara (Fasso Bortolo). Armstrong's slippage of time and placing was the result of stage bonus times . . . Cancellera has a four-second marging over Thor Hushvold (Credit Agricole) of Norway . . . The winners of stages 1-20 will earn 7,620 Euros or about $9,150. The prize money extends through the 20-25th place finishers, who will earn 127 Euros, approximately $152. The overall race titllist will earn 400,000 Euros or approximately $480,000. The 121st through 150th finishers will earn 381 Euros or $457 . . . The 122-mile second stage will take the field from Charleroi to Namur as the Tour continues its four-day stay in Begium . . . Seemingly only one snack bar was open in Charleroi. Its menu included something called "Chix Fingers" and "Big Marcus," a double cheeseburger the size of a small condominium.

--------------------------------------
POSTCARD FROM LE TOUR
--------------------------------------

Via simple instruction, Ferme St. Martin is a 30-minute auto route drive from Liege, Belgium. But when it's late and the surroundings are unfamiliar, the simple country inn tucked along a side street in farming village of Malempre is a little more difficult to find.

So it was Saturday night, when an hour after my projected arrival, I gently pushed open the front door of the country inn. It was 12:15 a.m., and the entrance to the small stone and wood building was dark and quiet.

Within a minute, Monielle Sepult walked down the stairs and despite the hour, greeted me with a smile. Sepult and her husband Vincent have owned Ferme St. Martin for seven years and they live there with their three children ages 1 1/2 to 10.

I figured I was lucky to have a place to sleep, but even at such a late hour, Monielle asked if I wanted a "petite" or "grande" room (chambre). The small room was fine and it included two bunkbeds, each with comforter and pillow.

My room was on the second floor and after Monielle helped with my suitcase at the top of stairs. I asked if perhaps I could have something to eat and drink. Between my few words of French and Monielle's slightly better understanding of English, she agreed that a simple dinner was available.

Monielle returned with a basket of fresh rolls and then a small cauldron of hot green squash soup, served with croutons. A refrigerator case adjacent to the reception had many wine and beer offerings, and the two bottles of beer I chose - one blonde, one dark - nice complemented the soup and bread.

Sunday morning, after a simple breakfast of bread, thinly sliced ham, orange juice and coffee, Monielle and I talked for a few more minutes. She worked in Colorado for two years as a baker, but life brought her back to Belgium where she and her husband work hard in the small, old village.

The population of Malempre is 200. Its air carries the fragrance of farming and cattle and it's a slice of Belgian country living that suited a weary and hungry traveler well. It's also a bargain at 36 euros ($43) for one night's stay, two meals, two beers and a bottle of mineral water.

For more information, contact: Ferme St. Martin, Rue St. Martin, Malempre, Belgium. Tel./Fax 086 45 51 22

--------------------------------------
AMERICANS IN THE TOUR DE FRANCE
--------------------------------------

Invididual Stage Results
Stage 1, Liege to Charleroi, 202.5 kilometers
28. Bobby Julich, Reno, Nev., (CSC) same time as stage winner.
45. Christian Vande Velde, Lemont, Ill., (Liberty Seguros), s.t.
47. George Hincapie, Greenville, S.C., (U.S.P.S.), s.t.
48. Lance Armstrong (U.S.P.S.), Austin, Texas, s.t
52. Tyler Hamilton (Phonak), Marblehead, Mass., s.t
87. Levi Leiphemer (Rabobank), Santa Rosa, Calif., s.t.
147. Floyd Landis (U.S.P.S.) San Diego, Calif., s.t
General Classification
3. Armstrong @ 10 seconds
8. Julich @ 20 seconds
9. Hincapie @ 20 seconds
12. Leipheimer @ 23 seconds
17. Landis @ 26 seconds
18. Hamilton @ 26 seconds
88. Vande Velde @ 40 seconds

For complete results, visit the web sites:

CyclingNews.com
LeTour.fr
VeloNewws.com

--------------------------------------
TFT'S QUICK PEDAL STROKES
--------------------------------------

AMAZON.COM
Everything offered by the internet's largest online retailer.
ENDURANCE SPORTS NEWS
Endurance news from around the globe. Timely, pertinent, free.
JAMES RAIA'S ONLINE STORE
Amazon to Rudy Project, Land's End to R.E.I.
ROCK & ROLL BOB ROLL
Cycling's rebel announcer on Le Tour de France.
STRETCHING IS FOR CYCLISTS, TOO
Brad Walker is a long-time stretching expert.
THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE
The best cycling movie ever made?
THE TOUR WITHIN THE TOUR
Twenty-four essays about the cyclists, people & places of the Tour.
THE TOUR DE FRANCE AT A GLANCE
The Tour de France in facts and figures.

--------------------------------------
TFT'S BUSINES PARTNER SPOTLIGHT
--------------------------------------

Tour de France Times acknowledges and encourages the support of its business partners:

BIKECAFE.NET
The worldwide cycling resource.
CALIFORNIAWINEANDFOOD.COM
California wine and food and global ambiance.
DIRTRAGMAG.COM
The mountain bike forum.
LUFTHANSA.COM
There's no better way to fly.
SPOKERADIO.COM
Get out there and ride.

--------------------------------------
2004 TOUR DE FRANCE SCHEDULE
--------------------------------------

Prologue - July 3: Prologue Liege ITT, 6 km
Stage winner: Fabian Cancellara, Fasso Bortolo, 6 minutes, 30 seconds. General Classification: Cancellara
Stage 1 - July 4: Liège-Charleroi, 195 km
Stage winner: Jaan Kirsipuu (AG2R) 4 hours, 40 minutes and 29 seconds. General Classicifation: Cancellara.
Stage 2 - July 5: Charleroi-Namur, 195 km
Stage 3 - July 6: Waterloo - Wasquehal, 195 km
Stage 4 - July 7: Cambrai - Arras TTT, 65 km
Stage 5 - July 8: Amiens - Chartres, 195 km
Stage 6 - July 9: Bonneval - Angers, 190 km
Stage 7 - July 10: Chateaubriant - Saint Brieuc, 208 km
Stage 8 - July 11: Lamballe - Quimper, 172 km
July 12: Rest Day: Transfer to Limoges
Stage 9 - July 13: St Leonard de Noblat - Guéret, 160 km
Stage 10 - July 14: Limoges - St. Flour, 237 km
Stage 11 - July 15: St Flour - Figeac, 164 km
Stage 12 - July 16: Castelsarrasin - La Mongie, 199 km
Stage 13 - July 17: Lannemezan - Plateau de Beille, 217 km
Stage 14 - July 18: Carcassonne - Nimes, 200 km
July 19 - Rest Day: Transfer to Nimes
Stage 15 - July 20: Valreas - Villard-de-Lans, 179 km
Stage 16 - July 21: Bourg d'Oisans - Alpe d'Huez ITT, 15 km
Stage 17 - July 22: Bourg d'Oisans - Le Grand Bornand, 212 km
Stage 18 - July 23: Annemasse - Lons le Saulnier, 166 km
Stage 19 - July 24: Besancon - Besancon ITT, 60 km
Stage 20 - July 25: Montreau - Paris-Champs-Elysees, 165 km

PUBLISHER'S NOTICES

Tour de France Times (TFT), an electronic newsletter about cycling's pinnacle event and the cyclists who compete in it, is written, edited and published by James Raia, a journalist in Sacramento, California. Tour de France Times is published monthly, except daily during the three-week Tour de France.

Story links, race information, suggestions and letters to the editor are encouraged via e-mail. Please include your name and city and state of residence. Names held upon request.

Use of this newsletter is encouraged with the publisher's permission.

Send correspondence to: address@hidden

Click Here to Buy Rudy Project Sunglasses

In Association with Amazon.com

 Update Profile  |  Unsubscribe  |  Confirm