Re: [fsf-community-team] Free software in schools

From: Peter Rock
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Free software in schools
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 23:11:34 +0800

> See http://hbclinux.net.nz/fss-litrev.pdf
> ... this is a literature review about free software in the education
> sector - first attempt. I have to clean it up and do an update, but it
> should give you an idea.

Thanks Simon, I'll read this over and try to absorb the best parts.
BTW, I think you mean the "GNU/Linux operating system", rather than
the "Linux operating system". :)

> There are movements in education concerning wider literacy, digital
> divide, and information literacy.
>
> There have been a lot of documents like yours about how free software
> supports schools, but not much research. Have you physically visited a
> school that uses free software?

I am a teacher in a K-12 school and teach all of my classes using
GNU/Linux. I have not however, visited a school that uses GNU/Linux as
its primary platform. Even the school I'm at is still primarily
Windows-based, though the extent to which GNU/Linux is being used is
growing. We now have a support contract with Canonical for our Ubuntu
systems. Ideally, we would use only 100% free systems but I have not
been able to approach that level yet.