Re: [fsf-community-team] Free software in schools

From: Simon Bridge
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Free software in schools
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 05:25:22 +1300

On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 11:10 +0800, Peter Rock wrote:
> Hello, I wrote the following points on how Free software supports schools:
>
> http://gnuosphere.wordpress.com/2010/01/29/how-free-software-supports-schools/
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated. Could anything be added to this
> list? Are there any errors? Also, my blog gets minimal traffic so it
> might be useful to put this somewhere else on the web. But if so,
> where?

See http://hbclinux.net.nz/fss-litrev.pdf
... this is a literature review about free software in the education
sector - first attempt. I have to clean it up and do an update, but it
should give you an idea.

Your delivery would benefit from an understanding of current education
issues so that educators can see how it is relevant to them directly.
Issues vary between education sectors too.

There are movements in education concerning wider literacy, digital
divide, and information literacy.

There have been a lot of documents like yours about how free software
supports schools, but not much research. Have you physically visited a
school that uses free software?