Re: [fsf-community-team] What online informational materials are availa

From: victoria sinclair
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] What online informational materials are available?...
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 12:52:37 +0000

hi everyone

a timely post - - as i am in the process of compiling a list of resources for a new creative eco-technologies project in manchester, uk

we are really looking for how to present these concepts as simply as possible - through films, cool links etc - so please do send along any good info you have

i will then post the collated links to this site so you can use the doc - which will have other subsections like local food, ethical textiles and stuff in it as well...

i have heard rumours of some good short videos out there - but don't know the names so if anyone can advise me, that would be great.   We especially are interested in finding non geeky sorts of films which can appeal to young people who are excluded...
oh - and i am in brasil right now working on a dvd in english and portuguese to explain concepts like gambiarra and metareciclagem - and we will get these subtitled into english and be uploading/making hard copies in march or so, so let me know if you want more info

best wishes

vicky sinclair

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:34 AM, Alex Chekholko <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:39 AM, don warner saklad <address@hidden> wrote:
> What online informational materials are available that I can show to
> folks I talk with unfamiliar with free software?... just today a
> salesman at the Cambridge MicroCenter store was talking with me and we
> went to http://fsf.org but nothing we saw there appeared to be
> comprehended easily without already subscribing to the principles.

It is not an easy topic to discuss quickly, and IMHO, you _can't_
comprehend the implications without first thinking hard about the
principles.  I recommend focusing on just the one page with the four
freedoms:

Then give a couple of practical examples; e.g. being able to freely
and legally hand to your friends a CD with excellent software like
Ubuntu or Inkscape (as opposed to MS Windows or Adobe Illustrator).

RMS has a good bit in his speeches about having to choose staying
legal or staying friends, e.g. when a friend asks you for a copy of
commercial software that you only have a single license for.

Regards,
Alex

____

Freeform discussion: irc.gnu.org #fsf
Sharing news and links: #fsfct http://identi.ca/tag/fsfct
How to use this list: http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Workflow

--
Victoria Sinclair (Project Manager Generate Project and director ArcSpace Manchester)