Re: [fsf-community-team] What online informational materials are availa

From: Alex Chekholko
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] What online informational materials are available?...
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 23:34:04 -0500

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:39 AM, don warner saklad <address@hidden> wrote:
> What online informational materials are available that I can show to
> folks I talk with unfamiliar with free software?... just today a
> salesman at the Cambridge MicroCenter store was talking with me and we
> went to http://fsf.org but nothing we saw there appeared to be
> comprehended easily without already subscribing to the principles.

It is not an easy topic to discuss quickly, and IMHO, you _can't_
comprehend the implications without first thinking hard about the
principles.  I recommend focusing on just the one page with the four
freedoms:

Then give a couple of practical examples; e.g. being able to freely
and legally hand to your friends a CD with excellent software like
Ubuntu or Inkscape (as opposed to MS Windows or Adobe Illustrator).

RMS has a good bit in his speeches about having to choose staying
legal or staying friends, e.g. when a friend asks you for a copy of
commercial software that you only have a single license for.

Regards,
Alex