Re: [fsf-community-team] What online informational materials are availab

From: Simon Bridge
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] What online informational materials are available?...
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 17:18:40 +1300

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 01:39 -0500, don warner saklad wrote:
> What online informational materials are available that I can show to
> folks I talk with unfamiliar with free software?... just today a
> salesman at the Cambridge MicroCenter store was talking with me and we
> went to http://fsf.org but nothing we saw there appeared to be
> comprehended easily without already subscribing to the principles.

Don't worry too much about winning converts. Just explain what you mean.
The ideas pretty much sell themselves.

Also see:
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/linuxmanship/
... useful for learning how to market to people who don't know the
concepts already. Unfortunately, the author keeps referring to "linux"
instead of gnu/linux" and "open source", though some entries stress
"free and open source software".

Especially:
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/linuxmanship/#furtherreading
... the further reading section.

Also see how other people deal with this: eg.
http://www.wiserearth.org/forum/view/c6f84050e33cbf0bd1bcfb121c180f75

Note: there is no royal road freedom. If someone starts insisting on
something that can be "comprehended easily", they just don't want to
know. All you can do is be familiar with the subject, and try to make it
make sense to the other person.