Re: [fsf-community-team] GeoServer Free Software

From: Simon Bridge
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] GeoServer Free Software
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:06:34 +1300

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 02:18 +0100, Rune Christensen wrote:
> I disagree. I don't think we should burden developers of Free Software
> with the task of educating their customers on the principals of Free
> Software. They already provide a link to the GPL, which IMHO is
> sufficient. Educating is our job :)

However, we can expect develapers to accurately represent their project.
In this case it is a matter of writing them to point out the impression,
ask if this impression was intended, then point out that it is corrected
by replacing two words with four in the description, vis:

>         Use Free and Open Source Software
>         GeoServer is free software. This significantly lowers the
>         financial barrier to entry when compared to traditional GIS
>         products. In addition, not only is it available free of
>         charge, it is also

      free as in speech.

>         Bug fixes and feature improvements in open source software are
>         greatly accelerated when compared to traditional software
>         solutions. Leveraging GeoServer in your organization also
>         prevents software lock-in, saving costly support contracts
>         down the road.

They do seem to be more interested in promoting the Open Source
development model than actual software freedom though - they have used
the standard buzzphrasing of the OSI.

We could ask for a clarifying sentence like: "Free software respects
your personal and business freedoms, while its open development model
means that bug fixes and feature improvements are greatly
accelerated..."

I agree this is not something to make a big fuss over - there are bigger
fish to fry.

On another note:

>         In my humble opinion,

Am I the only one with a cringe at this sort of phrase - surely there is
no such thing as a *humble* opinion? If we want to sound humble we need
to write humble. Phrasing the opinion as a question or a concern can do
that without the risk of sounding obsequious.