Re: [fsf-community-team] A first exercise

From: ck raju
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] A first exercise
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:23:53 -0000

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:48 AM, James Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:
> GPLv3 (Section 4 of GPLv2) does not actually impose any additional
> limitations on how you use the work: only how you use the license. If
> you do not agree to the license, standard copyright law applies.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html  discusses about various
issues related to GPL. For mixing code - which I presume is where the
initial doubts lie - there is a table given at the end of the link
given here, which informs the possibilities on mixing code pertaining
to various GPL-icenses. Thus modifying a code  - which may include
addition from own/other sources, deletion, alteration etc - which has
already been released in GPLv3 needs to be conformant to the table
given here. (That is the restriction on developers - forcing
developers to give away modified versions in same license and allowing
them to mix code only from compatible ones - which is called hacking.)

Eben Moglen who took the lead initiative in drafting GPLv3 is eloquent
about the idea in his article here -
http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20070630094005112

--
CK Raju