Re: [fsf-community-team] Reminder: put your introduction in the Wiki

From: Holmes Wilson
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Reminder: put your introduction in the Wiki
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:51:26 -0000

I am one of the straglers. The first time I didn't add my information, I
didn't want go go looking for my list password. Now that I tried it, I
see that I am expected to create a separate "LibrePlanet" account.

I was initially not able to create an account:
I was recieving an invalid password error because my  login name
exceeded 8 characters. (or maybe the text captcha was a dummy that
flagged a moderator)

Yep, it has its own login system, and usernames have an 8 char limit.

Once they're all collected (or most of them) I'll let you know and we
can start adding comments and suggestions to each others' sample
so this can happen piecemeal.  But since we're in this kind of
bootstrapping phase right now, it seems like dong things in a big batch
is the best way to go.

Possibly off-topic, but is this list moderated?

Yep. We'll be tightening up the moderation and creating a rotating moderator position soon.

When I first signed up
the archives were empty, so I assumed there was a better than 50% chance
that initial posts were private. I included some cyber-stalking tips in
my email that I have been debating about putting on my website. I guess
the "cat is out of the bag" now. :/

The list will be moderated, but the archives will be public. It's probably listed somewhere that the list is public.

I have noticed I am not the only one who made such an assumption: I have
seen two intro posts without the list pas5w0rd5 scrubbed. In both cases
I sent the person in question an e-mail alerting them to that fact.

That's a problem. The new message tells people to put their introduction in the wiki, but I'll add something that reminds people to scrub the list password.

Me
being able to do this seems to contradict the following statement:
"This is a hidden list, which means that the list of members
    is available only to the list administrator."
  Linkname: fsf-community-team Info Page

That just means you can't see the whole list of members.

I suppose seeing the address of the sender is not exactly the same
thing, but my initial impression was that all addresses would be translated to
something like: address@hidden

The reason I think the list is moderated is that during my initial
(second) post, I suddenly recieved ~20 messages. In addition, I have
seen several double posts were the sender said to the effect:
"Did not see my initial message, so assuming filters got it."

Regards,

James Phillips

PS: I will be adding my name to the wiki shortly.
PPS: used L33T-speak to avoid unwanted notice from search engine users
using a common search term.
PPps: I just realized the posts in question may come up anyway.