Re: [fsf-community-team] Freedom to become slaves?

From: Florian Purucker
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Freedom to become slaves?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:55:16 -0000

Dear list,

Κ∀miL ΛbΤ:
> Its like discussions of relativism; i.e. it should be
> a non-issue.

> In the end the
> arguments boil down to: what we believe is good, and therefore should be

> promoted, AT THE EXPENSE OF (unfortunately) other ideas about freedom.

I disagree. Not everything is relative; some things are, but freedom is
the most fundamental human right. I can try to explain that philosophically
if you want me to, but I would rather do that off-list because it does not
concern the list directly. Let me just say something that you might still
agree with: The abstract concept of freedom is not relative and very clear
cut.

Only when you evaluate specific situations can some differences of opinion
arise. The general principle would still not change, though: I as an
unlasting being possessing reason and free will, can only fully have my
freedom by limiting it to the extent necessary to ensure the freedom of
everyone else and only under the condition that every other unlasting being
that possesses reason and free will does the same.

So to express part of it in a less awkward sentence: Of course, our
freedom is not limitless. And we do not have a choice there; simply living
in the same world, limits our freedom already. So the idea is to increase
everyone's freedom by respecting everyone's freedom. Some philosophers call
this a social contract. That's not quite what I'm talking about, but the
general idea goes in the same direction.

Florian