Re: [fsf-community-team] A first exercise

From: James Phillips
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] A first exercise
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 12:18:34 -0700

I just had a thought: maybe it was just a simple typo... While typing my
reply, I noticed he linked to Version 3 that takes a good half-hour to
read. I find older versions easier to understand.

Dear Dennis O'Reilly,

Your October 20, 2009 column "Finding the catch in 'free' software"
gives readers the impression that the GPL forbids changes to the code.
The GNU GPL absolutely allows for and encourages changes to the
software. GNU software is "copyleft'd," meaning that "Free software" (as
defined by the Free Software Foundation) "is a matter of liberty, not
price. To understand the concept, you should think of 'free' as in 'free
speech,' not as in 'free beer.'" [1]

It has occured to me that it is possible you meant to convey that
message, but accidentally dropped a few words in your description of the
GPL. The relevant passage should read: "The GNU GPL stipulates that the
software can be used, copied, and distributed verbatim without
limitation, though it cannot be changed (without adhereing to the terms
of the GPL or copyright law)." (as ammended) [2]

However, even that re-worded version is incorrect. There are limitation
on how you can copy a GPL'd work. For example, you must either provide
or offer to  provide the source code at cost. These conditions are
outlined in section 6 of version 3 (that you linked to) or section 3 in
version 2 (which is shorter and easier to understand)[3] Section 8 of
GPLv3 (Section 4 of GPLv2) does not actually impose any additional
limitations on how you use the work: only how you use the license. If
you do not agree to the license, standard copyright law applies.

Fortunately for end-users, Section 9 (Section 5 of v2) says you don't
have to agree to the license just to use the software.

Regards,

James K. Phillips
FSF Community Team

   Linkname: The Free Software Definition - GNU Project -  Free Software
Foundation (FSF)
[1]   URL: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

   Linkname: Finding the catch in 'free' software | Workers' Edge -
CNET News
[2]   URL: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-10378605-68.html

   Linkname: GNU General Public License v2.0 - GNU Project - Free
Software Foundation (FSF)
[3]   URL: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html

Too long?
Feel free to edit closing as needed.