Re: [fsf-community-team] A first exercise

From: Marcel Ribeiro Dantas http://ribeirodantas.com.br/
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] A first exercise
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:05:59 -0200

It's hard to understand some of the free software concepts if you start with the wrong leg. At first, the fact of GNU GPL follow a copyleft license format, it already answer every question this guy might have. So, IMHO, the explanation of the copyleft concept would help him to understand GNU GPL better, besides help him in future questions about copyright and duties/rights about a free software developer/user/customer.

So, independently of the reply we should send, Copyleft is the concept we must focus on.

Att. Marcel Ribeiro Dantas

2009/12/17 James Phillips <address@hidden>
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 07:49:34AM -0500, Holmes Wilson wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Here's a good example of something we'd like this list to respond to.
> People often send FSF emails pointing to blog posts that require some
> kind of response from the free software community.
>
> This is a particularly good example, because it's not even the case that
> somebody's especially antagonistic to the ideas of free software--
> they're just kinda lost ;)

<SNIPPED instructions>
> > *CNet blog Network* writer Dennis O'Reilly makes several erroneous
> > statements in his 20 Oct 2009
> > article<http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-10378605-68.html>  titled
> > 'Finding the Catch in Free Software'. Most glaring among his
> mis-statements
> > is:
> >> The GNU GPL stipulates that the software can be used, copied, and
> >> distributed verbatim without limitation, though it cannot be changed.
> >

>From that statement I find it hard to believe he even read the GPL that
states in the preamble:
"  The licenses for most software and other practical works are
  designed to take away your freedom to share and change the works.
  By contrast, the GNU General Public License is intended to
  guarantee your freedom to share and change all versions of a
  program--to make sure it remains free software for all its users."

I was surprised to learn he even provided a link to it. I suspect he may
have heard statements like mine in another e-mail that the GPL is more
restrictive than other OSI licences (from a developer's/distributer's
point of view) , and *assumed* that meant you could not modify the code.