[fsf-community-team] Pogue article on ebook DRM

From: John Sullivan
Subject: [fsf-community-team] Pogue article on ebook DRM
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:40:20 -0500

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/17/technology/personaltech/17pogue-email.html?_r=1&8cir&emc=cir

I don't think there is a way to leave comments on the article, but those
of you with your own blogs might want to write about it (I also didn't
look very hard, maybe I missed it). David Pogue of the New York Times
did a very small experiment with one of his ebooks, releasing it as an
unrestricted PDF, and checking in on the sales figures a year later. The
PDF was shared extensively, but sales of the ebook were actually
slightly higher than expected.

There are also points to take issue with in the article, including his
framing of "piracy" and "copy protection". He cites opposition to DRM
but does not mention the Defective by Design campaign.

--
John Sullivan
Free Software Foundation