Re: [fsf-community-team] Freedom to become slaves?

From: Edward Cherlin
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Freedom to become slaves?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:09:14 -0800

2009/12/15 Κ∀miL ΛbΤ <address@hidden>:
> Edward Cherlin wrote:
>
> My personal definition of a Libertarian is "Believer in the right to
> do anything that does not harm anybody else of any importance."
> http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/Code_Words#Legal_technicalities-Liberty

> While it's a nice sounding definition from an individual's point of view, you
> get in to problems pretty quick when you start arguing over the meaning of
> "importance".

Yes, if you argue. I prefer to cite cases and point out who is being
treated as unimportant, and leave others to draw their own
conclusions.

It isn't only Libertarians who have this issue. Most of those who
argue economics give great weight to the interests of producers and
traders, and as little as possible to mere consumers. Actually using
something is considered to have no further financial effect, hence no
further economic effect, when in reality consumption is the only
purpose of an economy. Economists, bankers, and politicians make up
the class that knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

It is extremely difficult to make a man understand something when his
salary depends on his not understanding it.--Sinclair Lewis

http://www.earthtreasury.org/