[fsf-community-team] Software Patents

From: Diego Trujillo
Subject: [fsf-community-team] Software Patents
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 22:46:32 -0600

Hello everybody.

This came up today at The Register, it's about yet another small company suing software development giants:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/16/mongo_patent_infringement_suit/

 The relevant thing about it is that this deals with a software patent-infringement suit. I am aware that the FSF has had some campaigns against software patents and the risk they represent. While this is a neutral article (it does not speak for or against patents) I chose to take the opportunity to comment on software patents and why they should be avoided, here's a transcript of my response:

Problem with software patents

Posted Wednesday 16th December 2009 04:17 GMT

That's what happens when you live in a world where software patents are ok. Software has a practical value that we all benefit from, if the algorithms/code of a program are patented than only a handful of people benefit from it. Since the same code may be useful in a variety of contexts patenting software creates an obstacle to the creation of new computer programs and thus to progress.

The choices in this case are either pay a lot of money to the patent holder or live without the algorithm for license protection and risk illegal distribution of your program. Either way you are robbed of your rights (and your money).

I also wanted to ask if this is the right way to share the articles we've found interesting and the comments we have made or if this should be done on the wiki???

Good luck.

Diego Trujillo (AKA 5inister)